A little 3 on 3 action: she was my first presi traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombadil

Reaction score

Sometimes it’s funny how fast we can push the envelope and redefine what we as hikers think we’re capable of. Just a few months ago I was less than 1/3 of the way through the W48 after one winter, setting out to tackle as many peaks as I could muster this winter without going overboard. I had a number of solid hikes in mind for the winter, but as recently as a few weeks ago I still couldn’t fathom doing something like a winter presidential traverse. But after a few ‘stretch’ hikes, we decided if we got a good weather window we’d seize the opportunity to make a run at a traverse. I had hoped to finish the W48 with a traverse but bad weather and work kept me from getting out this past week to do the one other hike I needed so on Friday with the great forecast it came down to a) go for a traverse or b) finish the W48 on galehead/twins. We went for option a) and I don’t regret it one bit!

I had hoped for a fairly early start but Alton, myself, and Andrew settled on a 5:15 am meetup at the Highland Center and were on our way up Valley Way by 6:15 am. I must say that as we ascended in a light wind and a light but steady snow maybe the slightly later start wasn’t such a bad idea afterall. This notion was further reinforced when we got to Madison Hut sometime after 9 still enveloped in the clouds, a solid wind, cold temps, and no immediate show that the sun was about to poke through as was forecasted. We dropped our packs, put on crampons, and headed up for Madison. Up above the hut the wind only got worse and I felt the drain of the big climb and the early warning pains of the cold on exposed skin. I was beginning to silently wonder if the weather would improve in time so that we could go for the traverse. By the summit we crossed paths with a group of 3 who had hoped to do the same hike but similarly expressed minor reservations.

Back down at the hut we agreed we’d head for tstorm jct and then make a turn for Adams and hopefully have a better idea about conditions. About ¾ of the way towards tstorm jct we took a more direct route up a set of snowfields to the summit. On the summit of Adams it was a bit on the cool and windy side but there were hints of the sky getting lighter as we took a shortcut to descend to gulfside.

DSCN9755.JPG

Working our way up Adams

By the time we reached Edmands we could get occasional glimpses of the Great Gulf and Washington to the south and Castle Ravine to the north.
DSCN9769.JPG

Views down to Castle Ravine

Alton led us up to the north of Jefferson, briefly starting out around Cornice but cutting uphill via snowfields to bypass the steep sideslope areas encountered on Gulfside.
DSCN9771.JPG

A shot 'mid-bushwhack' up Jefferson

DSCN9779.JPG

Taking it all in on our way up Jefferson

By the time we hit Jefferson we were basking in the sun and without saying a word we all knew we were going to have a heck of a day.
DSCN9786.JPG

Soaking up the sun on Jefferson

DSCN9787.JPG

We hung out for a bit above Monticello lawn out of the wind (more like a strong breeze on our backs at this point) to refuel for the climb up Washington. Here our competitors (Alton politely informed them they were in a race) jumped in front of us and went up and over Clay whereas we elected to stick to Gulfside. All was well and good until the upper end of the Clay Loop where my energy hit the low for the day. That last mile always seems to drag on and on with the summit buildings seemingly just a stone’s throw away.

DSCN9820.JPG

Andrew taking a moment to rest his head

DSCN9822.JPG

Awesome view of our next targets as we head down off the summit cone

DSCN9834.JPG

Quick refuel on Eisenhower

DSCN9837.JPG

Back down into those green things that grow out of the snow as we say goodbye to the view.

At Lakes of the Clouds we took our big break of the day and shortly thereafter we were up on top of Monroe and then charging ahead to Eisenhower getting ever closer to our goal, and going toe-to-toe with our friendly group of 3. We were all feeling a little beat by Eisenhower but in seeing how close Pierce and Jackson were compared to how far we’d come we were riding a bit of a high in knowing that we were making good time and had an outside chance of finishing under daylight. With that in mind we pushed up over the little bump of Pierce and thankfully Webster Cliff was broken out. En route to Pierce we jumped in front of our 3 friends one last time, I regret we never asked their names but it was great to have a friendly game of leapfrog to motivate us throughout the day. Great hike guys! After Pierce we fought through the tree tops a bit in getting to Mizpah and now below treeline the rest of the hike was a blur but there was definitely a giddy atmosphere as we charged downhill, reaching 302 just after 7:30. All three of us agreed in a bit of surprise that we expected to be considerably more fatigued and sore at the end of the hike. The excellent firm conditions certainly had a large part to play in that.

All in all we managed to take in some amazing views while proving to ourselves we have the tenacity, strength, endurance, and teamwork to band together and accomplish something most people would never attempt. So thanks for the nudge Alton, until recently I didn't know I had it in me. I liked the idea but it still seemed abstract and now we've done it and done it well. Que up the next challenge!

It was a great hike,I should have brought more donuts.
I hiked cabot later that night with the full moon. To finish W48

Its SOARES like an eagle

Glad that you guys had such a good day! Heard it was a success on the way home from Baxter - congrats!!!!
Thanks! The weather was pretty iffy in the morning but only got better as the day went on. Glad to hear you guys got N Brother, I imagine that ridge is awfully tough in winter with virtually no activity. Kudos!

It was a great hike,I should have brought more donuts.
I hiked cabot later that night with the full moon. To finish W48

Its SOARES like an eagle
Nice hiking with you Andrew. I still can't believe you did that hike on a L of water, mountain dew, and package of donuts--incredible. Glad to hear you banged out Cabot later that night, that's one big day!

Great job with the trip report. It was a pleasure playing cat and mouse with guys all day and let Alton know that she won the race by a good 15 minutes. I am sorry we did not properly introduce ourselves…. my name is Bob Hills (aka CrazyBob) and my hiking partners were Todd Sells & Matt Duffey. I hope to see you guys on the trail in the future.:D:D

First photo is nice. Many pictures shot directly at the sun are awful, but this one has just enough fog/cloud to hold back the sun. It's very easy to miss the second hiker (on the ridge). I missed him the first time around.

Second photo is cool for so many reasons. Nice shot.

Great job with the trip report. It was a pleasure playing cat and mouse with guys all day and let Alton know that she won the race by a good 15 minutes. I am sorry we did not properly introduce ourselves…. my name is Bob Hills (aka CrazyBob) and my hiking partners were Todd Sells & Matt Duffey. I hope to see you guys on the trail in the future.:D:D

Thanks, it was great going back and forth with you guys as well. I let Alton know the margin of victory and we both agreed it was pretty remarkable that both groups were hiking at a nearly even pace over the course of so many hours. No worries about the introductions, we should have introduced ourselves as well. It seemed our rests never seemed to coincide with each other so there wasn't much of a chance to chat after the friendly banter. We hope to run into you guys again as well, glad we all achieved our goals that day!

Excellent! A winter presi is on my bucket list... This past winter was a ski-with-my-family winter. I only hiked 4 times all winter.

Tim
Nice, I had planned on attempting a summer presi traverse first but things lined up to go for a winter one instead. Waiting out for the right conditions made all the difference in the world. Hope it works out for you next winter!

First photo is nice. Many pictures shot directly at the sun are awful, but this one has just enough fog/cloud to hold back the sun. It's very easy to miss the second hiker (on the ridge). I missed him the first time around.

Second photo is cool for so many reasons. Nice shot.
Thanks, I really like this type of shot and I've run across few opportunities where the conditions are right for it. Thanks for the praise.
Pat