A Peanut Butter Luncheon on Mt. Tremont (07-Oct-2008)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Background:
When it comes to making luncheon plans, probably the summit of Mt. Tremont does not immediately leap to mind! However, that’s where I recently opted to have lunch.

But, besides being a favorite lunch venue, I’m also attracted to the complex personality of the trail leading to the summit of Mt. Tremont. For the first half of the trail, you experience its mild-mannered persona as you amble along Stony Brook and enjoy the numerous eye (and ear) pleasing cascades. For the second half of the trail, you experience its rough & tumble character with the steep climb up the north face of Mt. Tremont via a veritable corkscrew of switchbacks.

The Journey:
On the day of this hike, it was a beautiful Autumn day with an air temperature nearly perfect for hiking. And to add to the pleasure of the day, as soon as I set foot on the trail, it was like getting together with an old friend whom I had not seen in awhile.

On the lower half of the trail, I stopped at a few favorite spots to soak up the sights and sounds of Stony Brook, and to take a few snapshots. Even though I already have many photos of this brook, the conditions are never identical, and so each trek along this trail produces slightly different photo perspectives.
106_0003.JPG
106_0005.JPG
Although it was enjoyable hiking along Stony Brook, I was eager to get to the second half of the trail. Don’t know why, but for some reason the twisty zigzag climb to the summit reminds me of an amusement park ride. I get this same sensation on the descent . . . maybe even more so!! But, besides the “amusement park” aspect, I also enjoy taking a moment to enjoy the views toward the Presidentials at various spots on this winding segment of the trail.
106_0015.JPG
Arriving at the top is always such a treat. The bare ledge at the summit becomes my makeshift restaurant as I chow down on my exquisitely-prepared peanut butter sandwich while gazing out at the panoramic view of mountains and ponds before me. Not many restaurants offer views like this. But OK! Yes, you probably could find something on the menu more exotic than a peanut butter sandwich!
106_0008.1.jpg
106_0012.JPG

Meeting Trekkers Along the Trail:
This trail definitely gets far less use than some of the more popular trails. However, it does get used more than you might expect. I always meet at least one other person when hiking this trail. This time I met two folks who were both “locals”. Although somewhat surprising, one had never hiked the trail before! And, it had been nearly 5 years since the other person had done this trek.

Oh! And how could I forget? I did meet one other trekker on my way back to the trailhead. This one was a “bear hiker” (not a “bare hiker”) who was foraging just ahead of me along the side of the trail. Just as I was slowly pulling out my camera to take a snapshot, the bear sensed something and looked over its shoulder at me. Eek! Hiker! The bear quickly became a black blur as it ran off into the woods as fast as its paws could carry it. Maybe it was having a “bad fur day” and wasn’t up for being photographed?! Or perhaps it was just me? I’m sure my “fragrance” was not overly appealing after hiking all day!

BOTTOM LINE TO ALL THIS: Even though it had only been two months since my previous visit to Mt. Tremont, it was still terrific to have lunch again on this summit! And besides the luncheon experience, it was fantastic to once again experience the sights, sounds and woodsy fragrances along the trail. This visit will be enough to sustain me until the next trip. In the meantime I can reminiscence and can mentally helicopter back to this place anytime I want to do so (perhaps while eating a peanut butter sandwich!).

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Great trip report!

Tremont is a neat peak, though I would like to add two points/recommendations:

1) The trail doesn't appear to get much sunlight, so it can remain slippery a day or two after rain.

2) The summit views appear to be most enjoyable earlier in the day or for the sunset. The ledge faces west and south, so on a hazy summer afternoon, the views can be less than optimal.

Thanks for the TR and pictures. It's great to have these TRs at this time of year. Tremont is an interesting peak. I did this one last year around this time and had a tough time on the small switchbacks - of course my dog was blazing an insane pace. I met only a handful of folks on a busy Columbus day weekend.

1HappyHiker said:
Yes . . . and there are a lot of them!!

Wow, that view really illustrates it well!

Fortunately there are some obstructed views as the switchbacks are ascended, so they don't get overly vexing.