A question specific to Canon lenses and polarizing filters.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghassert

Reaction score
Matawan, NJ Avatar:Harriman Stae Park, NY
When I purchased a Canon EFS 10 -22mm lens last year the instruction booklet stated that if a polarizing filter was needed, that I should use Canon's PL-C 77mm II polarizing filter.

I have now just purchased the Canon EF 100 - 400mm and the instruction manual states the same thing.

The problem is that you cannot put a lens cap on this filter, which is a major pain in the a**....

Is this just a marketing ploy by Canon? Or should I just ignore it and get a polarizer of my choice?

Thanks,

Glenn

Any circular polarizer (usually designated PL-C or PL-Cir) filter should be good for any auto focus camera. My personal preference (and it is just that) is for Hoya filters which tend to be thinner and less prone to vignetting than other filters. They accept lens caps without any problems.

BTW I am still using a Canon A2E film camera.

Any reputable brand will do. For wide angle lenses it is more suitable to use thin filter to reduce vignetting. For tele lenses it doesn't matter.