Which Lens?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghassert

Reaction score
Matawan, NJ Avatar:Harriman Stae Park, NY
I will be going to both Yosemite and Lake Tahoe for the last week of August and first week of September.

My question is:

If you could only take 1 or maybe 2 lenses, what would you bring. My camera is a Canon Digital Rebel xt. I don't want to bring too much, both because of flying with them and when I get there it will probably be mostly day hikes and I wouldn't want to leave anything of value in the car when hiking, so I would want to carry them with me.

I currently own a Canon EF 24-104 F4 L IS, a Canon 100mm EF F2.8 Macro, Canon EF 100 - 400mm F4.5 - 5.6 L IS and Canon EFS 10 - 22mm F3.5 - 4.5.

I have already ruled out the 100 - 400.

I also would not be adverse to purchasing another lens if it made sense.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Glenn

Depends on what kind of pics you like to take.

The following is from my 35mm film days. I had a choice of 28, 50, and 135mm lenses with a 2x tele-extender:
I tend to like large scenes taken with the 28mm lens and have done trips where that was the only lens that I took. I have on occasion taken the 28 and 50mm lenses with the tele-extender as a medium weight combo.

So from your collection, I would take the 10-22mm lens (14oz) and maybe the 24-104mm lens (heavy at 24oz). You might consider a lighter non-L lens to save weight if you don't mind the lower quality.

The Canon EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM lens (16 oz) might be a nice one-lens-does-almost-everything approach or might be nice in combo with the 10-22mm lens.

And if you really want to save weight, the USM version of the kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm, F3.5-5.6 USM) is only 6oz (at a somewhat lower optical quality). If you want to add a light-weight telephoto you could add a EF 55-200mm F4.5-5.6 II USM at 11 oz or the EF 75-300 f4-5.6 III USM at 17oz.

Doug

Last edited:
I'd take the 10-22 and the 24-105. With the 1.6x crop body that gets you ~ 16 - 165mm and that will cover everything but wildlife, sports, and macro. That is why I have been thinking about getting the 24-105.

The weight difference between the 17-85 vs the 24-105 is not worth the cost IMO.

As for macro, I have found that I do not shoot much macro when going to a place for the first (or second) time. Macro can take so much time that I rarely do it in a new place. So I woudn't carry the 100 macro even though it is an awesome lens.

Have fun.

- darren

Thanks...

Thanks Doug and Darren,

I've been leaning towards the 10 - 22mm and the 24 - 105. I have also seen some good reviews of the new Tamron 18 - 250mm. But, most likely I will take the other two.

Again, Thanks,

Glenn