A Real Corker Coming This Week?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corker...maybe...Slop Bag...more likely.....but certainly a crack filler base binder:cool:

I'm hoping for corker but even it's just a crack-filler/base-binder with some frosty topping, I can live with that. It will be nice to smooth out all them ruts on the trails.

I think the Inuits might call it Jatla :D

I'm hoping for corker but even it's just a crack-filler/base-binder with some frosty topping, I can live with that. It will be nice to smooth out all them ruts on the trails.
Hiked part way up Tecumseh this morning before driving to Boston. Just enough snow to make the rocks nice and slippery. We definitely need enough snow to cover them completely.

NWS out of Gray just jumped this from "Watch" to "Warning", and upgraded snowfall amounts in the foothills and Whites to 9" to 15" with some sleet and freezing rain (e.g., doesn't sound like much of a changeover is now predicted).

Does this qualify as a corker? I believe it does.

Ya sure, you betcha. And with the wind and the cold in the aftermath, we might be looking at a blizzard to boot. I don't have time to reference the NWS blizzard criteria for New England -- maybe someone else does? I think the cold comes a little slowly to meet the criteria in this instance?

NWS out of Gray just jumped this from "Watch" to "Warning", and upgraded snowfall amounts in the foothills and Whites to 9" to 15" with some sleet and freezing rain (e.g., doesn't sound like much of a changeover is now predicted).

Oh good we're moving from Jatla to Ashtla....this is good news!

It's nice to see 30+ posts to a thread with an important topic! :D

I'll up the ante for the Ashtla, with My Bet

(this tends to be an over estimate at times, but we can dream!)

So the models have beefed up the storm and trended somewhat colder with it. There won't be as much sleet now, but still some. The storm will run into the block of cold we have overhead and a secondary low will develop off the coast, how strong the low is will mean more or less snow. With that, it will be a heavy snow that will really become the base for much of Northern New England for the winter. I know that is a bold thing to say, but looking down the road, it is just going to keep getting colder. Mount Washington is going to hit something like -20 F Saturday or Sunday, with wind chills this weekend even colder. Then, more snow and cold. I am predicting total snow in the Whites of 6-14 inches depending on elevation and shadowing. With a SE wind, some places will get shadowed.

-Mattl

Blizzard criteria (see definition on page B-2) now do not require a specific temperature. (It was formerly 20 degrees F or colder)

Blizzard. A blizzard means that the following conditions are expected to prevail for a
period of 3 hours or longer:
a. Sustained wind or frequent gusts to 35 miles an hour or greater; and
b. Considerable falling and/or blowing snow (i.e., frequently reducing visibility below
1/4 mile).
Although there is no set temperature requirement for blizzard conditions, the life-threatening
nature of the low temperatures in combination with the other hazardous conditions of wind,
snow, and poor visibility increases dramatically when the temperature falls below 20F.

You say the sweetest things. :)

The skis are ready...

:(From the tone of this post it sounds as if your not feeling well and you should call in sick tomorrow and/or the next day.:)

Blizzard criteria (see definition on page B-2) now do not require a specific temperature. (It was formerly 20 degrees F or colder)

Blizzard. A blizzard means that the following conditions are expected to prevail for a
period of 3 hours or longer:
a. Sustained wind or frequent gusts to 35 miles an hour or greater; and
b. Considerable falling and/or blowing snow (i.e., frequently reducing visibility below
1/4 mile).
Although there is no set temperature requirement for blizzard conditions, the life-threatening
nature of the low temperatures in combination with the other hazardous conditions of wind,
snow, and poor visibility increases dramatically when the temperature falls below 20F.

I CAN'T QUITE UNDERSTAND YOU WHEN YOU USE ALL BOLDED LETTERS LIKE THAT; COULD YOU MAYBE CAPITALIZE EVERYTHING, PLEASE? thank you.

--E.E. CUMMINGS, JR.

Shadowing= Moisture is wrung out over a mountain area by rising air and on the opposite side the air descends, warming, and drying it. With a storm having a south to south-east wind some areas can get majorly robbed like Whitefield, NH, CT River valley and Northeast VT.

-Mattl

Here is a diagram for the shadowing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rainshadow_copy.jpg

Winds will be ripping later tomorrow with this storm, so once the front end of the heavy precipitation moves thru, the shadow prone areas will see an abrupt end to the precipitation, while it continues to snow in the favored upslope areas. I'd say those regions could see 10-15 inches. The shadow areas will probably get 4-7 inches, witth 5-10 in between. The coastline will get the least on average...something like 3-6 inches. Down in southern New Eng, the amounts will drop off rapidly, esp closer to the coast. Boston prob wont get more than an inch.

Down here in the burbs of DC, the cold air hang tough, so we had a very light accumulation of sleet...but now its over to rain...ho hum....1-3 inches of rain expected.

One last thought...temps in northern New England seem to be dropping like a rock...14 in St J, 5 in Berlin, 7 in Whitefield! I think that may aid in fluffing up the snowfall a bit tomorrow, so perhaps the amounts will be slightly higher because of the fluff factor. Lots to consider. Glad I'm not a meteorologist...this forecast is a extraordinarily difficult one.