A Reflection On the Mountains We All Love

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. . . Considering the scope, diversity and depth of their human relationships, these little hills may well be the most interesting mountains on the face of the earth."

I have difficulty accepting this part of the quote even after a statement that nicely describes the human relationship with the mountains of the Northeast. I generally do not see much purpose in asserting such a superlative which, to me, is comparable to comparing athletes across different generations and eras.

Perhaps the mountains of the Northeast are of interest to the most people because of their accessibility to such a large population but that does not make them the most interesting mountains on earth.

What human history have they altered? What armies have they blocked? What geological history do they possess that is not equally fascinating elsewhere? Aside from a few islands of arctic alpine zone, what geographic diversity do they possess that is not at least as abundantly found elsewhere? What biodiversity do they possess that is not found across a band of boreal forest circling the globe?

Yes, there is a lot to enjoy, respect, learn and love about our nearby mountains but not to the exclusion of the standing of other ranges of the world. Let's not become so provincial in our fondness for our nearby gems as to think we have claim to a title no one else deserves. The mountains are no less without such an arbitrary comparison.

What human history have they altered? What armies have they blocked?

Read Parkman's epic, multi-volume France and England in North America for details on the mountains of NE in that struggle - an obstacle both sides wrestled with, but they mainly favored the French with their more numerous Native American allies.

If you include Vermont, look at Burgoyne and the American Revolution. The British plan of attack was certainly funneled by the mountains of Vermont to their east. Burgoyne's eastward probe for supplies, blunted by General Stark and his colonials at the battle of Bennington, kept them penned in their valley. The rest is glorious history (cf. Saratoga).

No need to apologize for our mountains, which have inspired artists and writers in abundance, well beyond their absolute height.

It is a tome. It is one of those books I wont read cover to cover but in parts as reference.

I would encourage you to reconsider. Though perhaps its length is daunting, it is fundamentally a story, if told in exhaustive detail. Take your time, but read it cover to cover. Then go back and reread particular sections when you want to research a particular item.

Let's not become so provincial in our fondness for our nearby gems as to think we have claim to a title no one else deserves. The mountains are no less without such an arbitrary comparison.

I think that what I liked about the quotation was that it stands up for our hill country so courageously. Sometimes they (our beloved hills) need defending against those who deem them as easy, simple, uncomplicated, just because they lack the stature of some of the great ranges. I've seen that snobbery face-to-face.

Last edited: