A relaxing trip to the East Ponds 6/2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markh062079

Reaction score
Hi! This is my first trip report since becoming a full fledged member of this great hiking community! I have in the past posted trail conditions, but this will be my first trip report and I’m terribly excited. I totally understand that this report pales in comparison to other trip reports, but I think its fun to share some of the relaxed trails that the White Mountains have to offer. Plus, this was the first time I have been able to get out since becoming a member and I was itching to post SOMETHING!

The day started down in Waterville Valley. I drove down from Lincoln to help a buddy of mine get her new puppy used to hiking on trails with other happy dogs and their owners. I figured the small trails that dot the Waterville Valley would be an excellent training ground for the puppy and he had a great time sniffing everything.

m_1deb5434d78b454aa5c50e21e3bce6c0.jpg

“Gizmo” was a handful but after a while he got tired and started to sit down more and more often, his big brown eyes looking pooped. We turned around and headed back to the Greely Ponds Trailhead. I drove Gizmo and my buddy back to their home, so I had some extra time on my hands and it was still a beautiful day out. I’ve done most of the major hikes in the Waterville Valley area so I decided to run up to East Pond and Little East Pond for a quick jaunt. I usually save trips to ponds and waterfalls for days that are overcast or kind of rainy, but I figured I would treat myself to a nice day at a pond for once!

I was the only car in the Tripoli Road trailhead when I pulled in, and a few minutes later I was heading up on the trail. The Little East Pond Trail quickly appeared on the left and I turned to follow it. The trail is a great easy route that had hardly any real elevation gain to speak of. There was one pretty good sized blow down that looked recent and that required a little bit of navigating to pass it.

m_52cd2e627d3748c6bf0c4d40363b105f.jpg

I was up to Little East Pond very quickly and took a couple of shots to form a panoramic view.

m_c4adb87ba1a8426b806bba67a6070247.jpg

It’s a wonderful little spot and I had some company with three ducks who were cruising around the pond. I took a few more shots and continued to East Pond. The trail between the ponds is a nice rolling trail that was pretty much a walk in the woods. It was so peaceful, with no sounds of modern life at all. Just the wonderful sounds and smells that nature provides. I also had a companion for a little bit of this section with a butterfly that was raiding the various flowers for a quick snack I assume.

m_fa0c9e52238f4e1f971b4a91a4bf0600.jpg

After awhile I met up with East Pond Trail and very soon after, East Pond itself. There was a young couple enjoying the pond and they looked like they really didn’t need any company so I continued around the pond to give them some privacy and where I could get another panoramic shot off.

m_a48c74d267eb4e4587a61af140d9f0fe.jpg

The trip back to my car was quick and relaxing, and I was soon back at my house. A great day and a great little outing, it couldn’t really get any better!

Welcome to the forum, Mark! Good to have you here! :) Those ponds are some of my favorite quiet spots. Great photos, especially the butterfly! Sounds like a great day for a relaxing walk! :cool:

Really nice! It's been quite a while since I've been to the East Ponds. Thanks for posting!

happy trails :)