A soggy sandwich on Sandwich Dome......

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amstony

Reaction score
The day started out fine as I headed north, very warm and pleasant in So. NH. But the weather reports up north indicated it was not a nice day.......despite that I decided to go and bag a NEHH peak, specifically Sandwich Dome.

As I headed up the Drakes Brook Trail off of Highway 49 in Waterville Valley at 9:35 AM, it started raining. This continues my streak of rainy and no view hikes that started last September.... :eek: Optimistically I took my lightweight binoculars with me.

The Drakes Brook Trail is overall a very nice trail to hike on. Nowhere was it very steep and has only a few rocky areas, nothing to write home about. What it did have was about a dozen blowdowns spread out along the length of the trail, some easy to bypass and only a few actually requiring some effort. The junction with the Sandwich Dome Trail came up rather quickly and is very obvious. I reached the summit in only an hour and 58 minutes, way ahead of book time, and I had not even been moving that quickly.

At the summit, which is open, the rain and wind really picked up and views were nothing, only clouds, fog and rain :( . I stayed here less than 5 minutes, and ate my now soggy and crushed ham and cheese sandwich on Sandwich! :) It tasted good anyway.

On the way down I took the Sandwich Dome trail back to the trailhead. This trail was rather steep in places, and there was a good number of wet rock slabs. It had also stopped raining for a few minutes, so I dried off some as I headed down. Though it was 8/10 of a mile shorter, I only saved a few minutes on this trail.

All told the hike was 8.2 miles r/t, 3 hours 51 minutes on the trail, and 2600 feet elevation gain. Despite the nasty weather, it was still fun and I have now completed 73/100 on the NEHH list.

Last edited:
Sounds like fun! I was up there Saturday, and walked thru some downpours. Was it tough going down the Sandwich Mtn trail in wet conditions? I decided to avoid it just in case....

grouseking

grouseking said:
Sounds like fun! I was up there Saturday, and walked thru some downpours. Was it tough going down the Sandwich Mtn trail in wet conditions? I decided to avoid it just in case....

grouseking

The Sandwich Mtn. trail was not too bad to descend on, though you had to really watch your footing in a few areas. The slabs were wet, but you could descend, with care. It was not a trail to make any quick moves when its sloppy like it was yesterday!

amstony said:
The Sandwich Mtn. trail was not too bad to descend on, though you had to really watch your footing in a few areas. The slabs were wet, but you could descend, with care. It was not a trail to make any quick moves when its sloppy like it was yesterday!

Yeah, I had a friend with me who rarely hikes. I think heading down Drakes Brook was a good choice. Happy trails!

grouseking

That reminds me of my breadloaf on breadloaf..

PB250082_t.jpg

..Only it was not soggy! :)

What is it about hiking Sandwich Dome that seems to bring out the worst weather, right Sapblatt???

Glad to see you taggin' another one, AMSTony!