A trip to AZ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
I just got back from a whirlwind tour of northern AZ with my gf, in my annual I need a short break from winter mid-winter. I had never visited the desert before, and had an ambitious itinerary of things I wanted to see. Ended up driving about 1500 miles, saw alot, experienced little. We did slow down in the slot canyons near Powell though, as it was one of the most unique landscapes I'd ever seen.

While I won't bore you with lots of images not New England, I did think this was neat, as it was very much east meets west with photography skills and vision.

The light was dull for most of our time in the canyon with a thin overcast, and my guide and I wanted to still get dynamic images. This is what we came up with. As the countdown to shutter ticked, my gf and the guide threw sand up on the sandstone, and it poured back down during about half of the 15 second exposure. Waterfall composition skills at work in the desert.

Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Canon 20D w/Sigma 18-200
15 Seconds @ F9
ISO 100
Polarizer

65123.jpg

It looks great. The only issue I see (and it might only be on my monitor) is that the bottom half looks a little too burned out or 'overcontrasty'

Jim,

Very nice shot. I don't think I have ever seen the man made "sandfall" technique before. Very creative. After first looking at the shot, I thought it was water, but then there is no water at the bottom of the shot, so I was confused. The creativity and technique is awesome, but the viewer would probably be left a little confused without your explaination.

The soft, natural lighting on the rocks at the top of the shot is excellent. The bottom is a little hot, but the top is just perfect. Overall, very good exposure.

I really like this image. It makes me want to go to the slot canyons in the SW right now. Looking forward to seeing more from your trip.

- darren

I love this picture -- the light is beautiful and the falling sand is very original. I would love to see more of your pictures from the Southwest.