Sticky Snow #3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments on the other two in this series.
This is the last...

Taken the same morning...this time I slapped on a ND filter to slow down the shutter speed of this scene on the Ellis River. I typically like shutter speeds around 1/4 - 1/2 second, as it gives water some, but not too much blurring.

Curious as to your thoughts on the balance of water in the composition, the amount of sky included, and the overall impressions you get...

Canon 20D w/ Sigma 18-200 @ 21mm
1/4 Seconds at F16
ISO 100
Polarizer
1 Stop ND
1 Stop GND over top half of the image...
Cropped to 4x5 because I like the format!

IMG_9814e11sm-vi.jpg

Gorgeous, IMO!! I just linked to this and didn't see the other in the series... I've commented often that one of my favorite wood/winter scenes is when the snow is on the ground but the water is not frozen... ponds or streams. This is wonderful to view and reflect on.

This is a very nice picture as are the two prior images in the series. Blurred and unblurred water both work for me, and in this case I think the blurred water is an asset.

However, this is an even greater illustration of "two photos in one" as the visible portion of the stream does not tie the upper and lower portions of the picture. In this case neither of the upper nor the lower photo alone are compelling. Each needs the other for balance and the brown tones do balance nicely. It is unfortunate that there is not an element that provides more unison. Still I find it a very pleasing photo and moment.