Rays of Emotion...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
I shot this photo Wednesday from the Dry River Trail above Lakes of the Clouds. Because of other unfortunate circumstances of the evening, it will always be an important photo for me, and I'd love to hear thoughts on composition, colors and any ways to make this the very best it can be.

I'll post the back story later, but would like to hear critique independant of everything...

I'm curious about the composition, the 5x7 crop, and the clouds in the URC. Any thoughts appreciated...

Thanks as always in advance...

Photo details:
Canon 20D w/sigma 18-200 @ 21
1/2 @ F18
ISO 200
Polarizer
2 Stop Hard GND

2680598864_410415f630.jpg

I feel like it pulls me in several different directions at once. Cropping the bottom off just above the boulder in the lower left seems to help. (Makes the pic almost square.)

The clouds in the URC don't bother me--in fact, I didn't notice the irregularity until your request pointed my attention at it. The bright spots also help explain why the reflection from the lake is brighter than the sky.

Doug

I like the image. f/18 produced some good diffraction rays to enhance the sunset. I think the composition is fine. I like the boulder and alpine flowers in the foreground. I also did not notice the bright areas in the upper right corner initially. They do not bother me, although I suppose the image might be stronger without the slight distraction.

I do think the bright lake surface competes with the sunset, and overpowers the other elements in the picture. That is essentially the hand the evening dealt you: namely the bright sky overhead -- which is out of the frame except for those small spots in the URC as Doug noted, and in the bright surface reflection. Also the breeze on the surface has broken up whatever darker reflections might have appeared. You would need to go to a lower location to get any surface reflections on this evening. And then you would compromise the composition with the multiple ridge lines, and the setting sun above the Lakes hut. And you would lose the attractive foreground. So I think you made the right choice remaining at this location.

Some shots...

are gifts. This one was one of those. I know the story, so maybe I shouldn't comment, but here it is.

Someone as patient as yourself is often rewarded with shots like these. Sometimes it all comes together, like in this shot. The light, the location. It's all there. I love it, and immediately thought of the circumstances it was shot under when I first saw it in the photo journal.

I think all the elements in the picture add to the story of "place". The rocks, the flowers, the bright reflection of the sky in the water, the sunset, the purple ridge, the clouds, it's all there!

It "reeks" of Lakes of the Clouds!

KDT