Frosty Morning Mist...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
Well, I'm beginning to appreciate the views along my new commute more and more with this glorious autumn weather that we've been treated with! I took this shot near Kingston State Park in southern NH, and am thrilled as I've wanted to try shots like this for some time.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on techs, exposure, composition...whether they work for you, and which you like better.

Techs
Canon 20D w/ Sigma 18-200 @ ~100mm
1/3 Second @ F11
ISO 100
3 stop ND Filter and Polarizing Filter to slow the shutter...

Thanks...
1409063671_6104199ccc_o.jpg

1404118176_9212a11152_o.jpg

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
Jim -- No permission (requires registration.) And you've explained why I've not heard you on NHPR the AM for a long while... ;)

Tim

Hey Tim,
Thanks, Forgot about that, I've rehosted and reposted...

And unfortunately you won't hear me anymore on NHPR as I've taken a job teaching high school science in the seacoast region and have moved to the Durham area. My final blog from the Obs is on July 11th at this link:
http://mountwashington.org/weather/comments/index.php

Since then, I've been so busy in transition that I've hardly hiked or done any photography, but that is changing as I settle down...

I like the effect. Recently I too changed jobs, although not careers. My current position is on Elm St in Manchester, up on the 4th floor. I can see the Amoskeag Falls from my office window. I walked down there to an overlook at lunch. There may be photo ops here, especially as the trees change. My point here (which I nearly forgot) was that with the cold mornings, the river has thrown up similar effects, especially right below the falls.

I also look across the river at the Uncanoonucs, and there is a rocky cliff in the foreground, which I've yet to identify (might be "Yacum Hill" according to TOPO! -- would I be too much of a geek if I brought my compass in?). Even though I am in a "city", there are interesting views. In fact, the best views of my nearly 20 year professional career.

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
My current position is on Elm St in Manchester, up on the 4th floor.

About 11:45 look off at the Valley Street Cemetary and wave hello....thats where I take my daily walk at lunch time! :D ;)

Jim, lovely photos as usual. I think I like the Horizontal format better than vertical.....the extra trees off to the right just add a little more oomph to the scene.

Congrats on the new job as well!

Brian

Both are very nice images, and both work for me. I like the horizontal a bit more -- partly for the additional shoreline, but more for the lighter and more feathery image which I prefer.

One thing I was taught, whenever you think you have a really good subject that might be publishable: Make at least one vertical and one horizontal image to be able to offer both full frame formats to a publisher. Sometimes they need a vertical and sometimes a horizontal.

With a good subject like this perhaps 4 images should be offered, both light and dark in both vertical and horizontal. All would be very good images. With digital processing you may be able to pull light and dark images from the same exposure.

There are many applications for photos like this. Not only would they be attractive hanging on a wall, but also as note cards, CD covers, and other commercial applications where text is added over a portion of the image. Some photographers make a part of their income from such applications - though there is a lot of competition.

Hey Jim!

Outstanding as usual. I know right where you were standing. The boat ramp. When are you gonna get by and see the view from my place? The leaves are starting to change!

KDT

Hey Jim, how do you like that 18-200mm Sigma? You get acceptable sharpness on the high end of the zoom spectrum? I have been thinking of picking up a longer zoom than what I have right now (28-105mm) for wildlife, so I am more curious about the 200mm end of your lens.

Brian

NewHampshire said:
Hey Jim, how do you like that 18-200mm Sigma? You get acceptable sharpness on the high end of the zoom spectrum? I have been thinking of picking up a longer zoom than what I have right now (28-105mm) for wildlife, so I am more curious about the 200mm end of your lens.

Brian

If sharpness is your criteria, I'd look elsewhere. It definately softens at the long ranges of this, typically above 135mm...but for a walking around, compact lens, it's great.

Mark, Thanks for your insight as well!!!

Kevin,
Some day after school next week...any day but monday or wednesday!

Last edited:
Hey Jim,

I also like the horizontal. Nice image :)

Mark, thanks for the interesting comments. I got me to thinkin'...

Happy Trails :)

I had to chew on these photos for a while, not sure about my reaction to them.

The watercolor impression they convey is interesting and attractive.

What gives me a bit of pause, though, is the color rendition – the heavy drift toward cyan. (Not sure I like it, but then, not exactly sure I don’t like it either. How’s that for being informative and helpful?) Did you manipulate the colors in post-processing, or do the colors reflect what you actually found in the scene?

G.

Grumpy said:
I had to chew on these photos for a while, not sure about my reaction to them.

The watercolor impression they convey is interesting and attractive.

What gives me a bit of pause, though, is the color rendition – the heavy drift toward cyan. (Not sure I like it, but then, not exactly sure I don’t like it either. How’s that for being informative and helpful?) Did you manipulate the colors in post-processing, or do the colors reflect what you actually found in the scene?

G.

Grumpy,
Thanks for your thoughts. On scenes like this I do have a tendency to overdo the cooler tones. I shot this in raw, and did slide the temperature slider down a bit. I also boosted the saturation about 5-10%. This is the net result. I suspect if I made a minor adjustment to either they would look more natural, and perhaps a bit less moody. With all things there are tradeoffs, and I'll give em a try! Thanks!