A Week in the Whites.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamFarmer

Reaction score
Sunday-Drive from Eden to Thornton NH. Stayed at Gilcrest Cottages until Friday morning.
Monday 7/7-Osceola & East Osceola from Tripoli Road. We had great weather and the views from Osceola were fantastic. Going to East Osceola you have to be careful scaling a cliffy spot . This was my first hike with JudgeH and his friend (now my friend too) Jim. Pete Hogan planned the whole trip but had to join us later in the week. These are 3 solid dudes and are excellent company.
Tuesday 7/8- Tecumseh. A short day but you get a good workout on the steady climb to the top. This was with JudgeH and Jim and on the way out, we passed Pete but didn’t know it since we never met before and weren’t expecting him. I think we were all distracted. No views were to be had but, it didn’t matter.
Wednesday 7/9- Whiteface and Passaconaway from Ferncroft. JudgeH took a day off and This was Jim,Pete and myself. I finally got to hike with Pete after talking about it for a couple years. No views all day but the Blueberry Ledge Trail is a nice hike with some ledges to deal with at the top. When there are views to be had, this trail must be great, with all the rock outlooks. We returned on the Dicey’s Mill trail.
Thursday 7/10- Tripyramid Loop (North Tripyramid and Middle Tripyramid) from Livermore Trailhead. This time Pete took a day off and it was Jim ,JudgeH and myself.
The walk in along the road was great and we rejoiced in the fact that we had climbed about 1000’ feet by the time we hit the trail to the North Tripyramid Slide. Shortly after we hit the slide and the rejoicing was over. It was slippery, steep, and had us all wondering what we got ourselves into. It took at least a couple hours to get up that thing and there were many places where I felt I was taking more chances than I like to take. The views were good on the way up. I understand the Scaur Ridge trail takes you right around the slide and I’d take that before ever doing the slide. Once at the top of the slide there is a very tight trail that takes you over to the summit and its easy going until you descend the slide on South Tripyramid. That’s a long slide too but I felt much safer on it.
Friday 7/11-Day Off --said my goodbyes to the 3 good men, hit a landromat in Lincoln and drove to the Highland Center at Crawford Notch. I paid for a bunk for Saturday night so I had a place to leave my car and take a shower after the Presi Traverse on Saturday. Then I left my car and caught a shuttle to Gorham where I stayed at Hikers Paradise.
Saturday 7/12- Presi Traverse-Bruno from Hikers Paradise gave me a ride to Appalachia Trailhead at 4:15 AM and I was off across the Presidential Range headed for Crawford Notch. I don’t recall all my summit times but I was at the Highland Center by 6 PM and I stopped at the Mizpah Springs Hut so Pierce was my last summit. I know I was on Washington at Noon. Luckily the predicted thunderstorm never hit and it was a great hike. Showered ,got car and returned to Hikers Paradise.
Sunday 7/13-up at 4:30 and heading home. What a great week.

Awesome Clay; way to kick butt in the Whites!!

Congrats on the Presi Traverse.

Happy Trails - Cindy

President Rockwalker!

Congrats, Clay!

You probably should just stayed there another week and finished the rest of the Whites!

I was thinking about you as I rock-hopped up Osceola singing that ol' Glen Campbell favorite, "by the time I get to Osceola, he'll be on Jefferson".

Must have felt great with Clay on Clay!

I am proud to have hiked with you!

Pete

Nice job!!

Now you have to come back for Franconia and Bond Ridges!!!

Nice job on the traverse, the Southerns are my favorites, too. Sounds like you had a much better time up on the Rockpile than you did last summer.

:)

Thanks Pete ! I sure hope we do it again sometime.

Thanks Sabrina ! Last year I got shut down on 2 attempts so this was the
3rd time and it all came together. It helps alot to know where you are going when the visibility closes down.

Thanks ColdRiverRun...yup...don't like these flatlands.

Thanks Pete ! I sure hope we do it again sometime.

Thanks Sabrina ! Last year I got shut down on 2 attempts so this was the
3rd time and it all came together. It helps alot to know where you are going when the visibility closes down.

Thanks ColdRiverRun...yup...don't like these flatlands.

Do you have any pictures to post?