Access to the Trailless Peaks in Catskill Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesop74

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I am looking for access information on the trailless peaks that I have to complete for the Catskills 3500 Club. I started back in 1996 and I am almost there! If you don't want to post up here please send me information at [email protected].

Here is what I am looking for. Where to park, whether there is a herd path, what markings might exist for the route, GPS coordinates if you have them, etc. Basically, tell me the traditional routes up these peaks. Thanks!!!! :)

Halcott Mountain - From Rt. 42 or from another parking location

Bearpen and Vly in a single outing

Rusk Mt. with Southwest Hunter from Diamond Notch

Friday, Balsam Cap and Rocky Mt. together as a hike.

North Dome and Sherrill Together

Lastly, I was going to attempt Doubletop, Big Indian and Fir from the Pine Hill West Branch Trail.

Thanks all, the AMC giude doesn't cover the logisitics that I need. I know I am asking someone for a bit of there time. If anyone can fill in the blanks for me I would really really appreciate the insite. Thanks again. See you out there.

Len

Last edited:
Hi Len, that is a bit of information to ask for... Can you check out the archives here... Parking is usually handled by the NYNJTC maps which I presume you have.. Pretty much find the closest P and that is the option to hike, except for Bearpen and Vly which are off the map.

1)Halcott: Yup, the P on 42 is the standard route...

2)Bearpen/Vly can be done from the south from I believe Halcott Mtn road. lots of stuff in the archives for this, search.

3)Friday/BC/Rocky can be done from Moon Haw.....

4)ND and Sherril can be done from the southern parking lot on 42 or from the DP trailhead on Spruceton Road, or from Timber Lake camp with permission (search).

5)You might consider SW Hunter and Rusk from the Rusk parking lot on Spruceton road... the spruceton trail is a wide road and it's shorter than the rocky Diamond Notch trail... Then after Rusk, you can either take the loong roundabout route around Col. Chair, over hunter and then back towards Diamond Notch, hitting Leavitt (SW Hunter) via the standard bushwack route/RR grade. Then to DN falls and out to the end of Spruceton road.. short road walk to your car.

6)Lastly, you might want to consider doing it from Seager (on the TC map) for DT, Big Indian/Fir, doing DT from there is very short as you can whack right to the northern peak and the woods and climb are gradual. From DT, you can whack over to the PH-WB trail by going to the southern peak via herdpaths and/or compass then bearing off to the PH and that should put you somewhere on the PH/WB trail in the vincinity of Big Indian... which is a short bushwack... then you can whack to Fir. With the short days now, might just camp at Biscuit brook or at the Dry Brook LT, both marked on the maps..

I'll let you digest that before specific questions get answered...

Jay

Jay H said:
Lastly, you might want to consider doing it from Seager (on the TC map) for DT, Big Indian/Fir, doing DT from there is very short as you can whack right to the northern peak and the woods and climb are gradual. From DT, you can whack over to the PH-WB trail by going to the southern peak via herdpaths and/or compass then bearing off to the PH and that should put you somewhere on the PH/WB trail in the vincinity of Big Indian... which is a short bushwack... then you can whack to Fir. With the short days now, might just camp at Biscuit brook or at the Dry Brook LT, both marked on the maps..
This is a hike on a lot of private property, but the owners typically grant permission. 845-586-4056 is the number to call, the caretaker is Bill Scholls. They appreciate the call.

If you join the Catskill 3500 Club, you will discover we lead hikes to all of these peaks about once a quarter.

Trailless Peaks

Thank you both. I apologize for not taking more time to search. Normally I do and I admit this time that I should have taken more time.