Adams 12/9 and Jefferson 12/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trip report

Hey Giggy, nice trip report and pics! We were thinking of you guys on Sat.
as we were climbing the Wildcats: ) Sounds like quite the trip!!
Awesome pics of you guys in the "frosty" trees. Glad everyone is safe.
kmac

Neil said:
That sounds like an insane trip guys and reminds me of my trip up Adams 5 years ago in July. The wind was so strong that I held my glasses onto my face. I wore pretty well full winter garb on top. No views at all of course and the cairns were barely visible. That quartz is great! Getting back to Grey Knob was pretty nice too.

There's a theme here! ERD and I did Adams last August and the winds and rain were bad enough then at +60 degrees, forget about -20! :eek:

Looks like quite an adventure! Reminds me how much I need a butt kicker and to really test my winter hiking skills and gear! Nice pictures and TR.

WHAT A BUNCH OF WHINNERS!!! If TMax and I had been there we would have shown you whimps how to really climb a mountain!! :D :D

Seriouisly, sounds like you'all made the right decisions at the right times. Just reinforces what a smart group of climbers you are. Really wish I could have joined you. I may need to spend a weekend in the mountains soon. I did sleep on the porch the other night my my sleeping bag...just to get a taste of the outdoors).

Guy...thanks for all your setup and leadership. The rest of you..keep me in touch with other trips. Look forward to meeting everyone.

Stay well..be safe... Bruce

Last edited:
Great trip report!
I know the region so well it seemed like I was actually there!

You guys made the right decision to turn back, visability was less than ideal and that Jefferson summit is so misleading.

Question: If you had a GPS (unsure?) could you have targeted the summit correctly?
Even so, to put yourself in harms way at the sole reliability of a GPS to get there and back, would be foolish.

Hoping to do that same trip this winter season.

Jeff

Jeff - we did have a GPS - but personally, I don't like to rely on them for a summit. and nether did the owner (blacklab2020). I knew basically that the route went s/sw up the cone - I was concerned with the chance the winds would pick up and create a really bad whiteout. visibility was damn low anyway - We probably could have done it - actually we could have b/c the weather broke an hour later - but better safe than sorry. all 4 of us just kind of agreed time was up - we spent maybe 10 minutes going off in diff directions trying to find some cairns - and then said - screw it.

Great Times!

Hey giggy,blacklab2020,Jayh,Jaytrek57 and mtn.goat;
Thanks ! Great Time up there this past weekend. Wish I would have made at least one summit, but there is plenty of time for that. Im finally able to post on here now so keep me in mind for future trips, although i dont get out as much as i like to due to my other addiction, snowboarding. If planned enough in advance i can sacrafice that for a good hike.
Take care and great pics guys. Kind of glad i didnt take my camera, seeing as though the screen on my cell phone didnt do to well in the cold.
thanks again and talk to you all soon
scott

great trip report, sounds like y'all had a great time up there. i don't mind not summiting if i get to experience some crazy weather, makes the nice summit days even more relaxing:) glad y'all were safe.

holla at me for the franconia ridge traverse!

Scott(Mookie),

Welcome man!

VFFT just got a true class act when you registered.

And I'm not just saying that b/c you and I turned around "first" . ;) ;)

Peace