Adirondack Journey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
I don’t know if this has already been mentioned here or not, but I just read this bad news: Adirondack Journey founder Joel Dobson is in an assisted living facility because he has Alzheimer’s disease.

I’m pretty sure I remember Joel receiving his certificate at the same ceremony (May 2003) I received mine.

http://www.adirondackjourney.com/#Special_Announcement:

I used his website when I was pursuing the 46 and the information was invaluable. I wish him and his family the best and I know first-hand about this terrible disease as my mother is in the waning days of her life after having been diagnosed 11 years ago and spent seven of those years in a nursing facility.

We had a thread on this about 2 months ago over on ADKHP.

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8508

I had a flurry of e-mail with Joel's wife, Alice, around the time of that thread. I knew Joel, via email exchanges, from the time I was "doing my own" Adirondack Journey (and corresponding website). The site has been passed on to his son who is also on "the 46er Journey" now. He hopes to update it as he goes. A perfect father-to-son transition.

I've offered full support to Alice and Will (his son) should they technical web stuff or whatever. :)

Last I heard, Joel was being well cared for by family and the home he has been placed in. Good and caring dude, for sure. Sad story, but nice to kniow the site will carry on.

Very sad to hear about this news. I always checked his info out before I left for a hike. Last fall Joel helped me finish my highpeaks and I thank him for that.

Very, very sorry to read this. :(

His website was the first one I discovered after the 46r website. It/he was a great source of information and motivation for my first peaks and decision to pursue the challange. I had always hoped to meet the man on the trail some day. I'll pray for him and his family's comfort.

PM me if there is an address I can send a card to.

I am sorry to hear this. I used his web site many a time for its knowledge. He must love the outdoors very much to take the time to develope this site. Best wishes to him and his family.