Adirondack Maps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albee

Reaction score
Hi... I'm planning on heading out to do quite a bit of hiking in the high peaks of the Adirondacks this summer. I'm looking for the best printed resource for maps and trail descriptions. I'm basically looking for something similar to the AMC's White Mountain Guidebook and maps.

Hopefully the ADK maps will include all of the 46 4000'ers, even though not all of them are 4000'. A book of trail descriptions and distances would be very helpful, too. Does anyone have an old copy they'd like to sell me? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

...Albee

Also look at the Adirondack Mountain Club's trail guide for the High Peaks region. You can find it and order it from the link that TCD sent you. You'll get the guide book and a trail map. Barbara McMartin also has a good guidebook out there. Enjot the Daks...they're great.

The Daks are different from the White since some of the 4000 foot peaks don't have maintained trails. They do have herd paths, but most of the herd paths are not shown on the maps. The ADK guide book gives rough desciptions of the location of the herd paths.

Last edited:
The McMartin guide book has an accompanying metric map that shows all of the herd paths and a few bushwacks also. The contours seem more accurate and it is made of tyvek to boot. For most use the ADK guide book map is sufficient.

Where can you get the McMartin Map

I bought the McMartin guide book and the map is sold separately. Barnes and Nobles which sold the book told me they had no way of ordering the map. I looked on the internet without much luck. Where can you buy it.

Thanks

Or Print Your Own

I love the National Geographic topo software. They sell the NY/NE set for $99, probably available cheaper on ebay or elsewhere. Print only the hike you are planning, have the flexibility to move all over the northeast on the spur of the moment. Quality is excellent.

It also gives you all the coordinates and mapping functions you'll need for your GPS, should you choose to use it that way. I was disappointed the actual maps can't be uploaded to the GPS, but the waypoints and routes seem great.

Uploading to GPS

A few years ago I looked around for maps on disc. IIRC, you could buy a separate program/disc to go along w/ the Topo! discs. This separate program made the maps GPS compatable. I thought it was predatory, hostile marketing to make you have to buy another disc, but not having a GPS worthy of the name, it didn't bother me much.

omegaman said:
I bought the McMartin guide book and the map is sold separately. Barnes and Nobles which sold the book told me they had no way of ordering the map. I looked on the internet without much luck. Where can you buy it.

Thanks
I got mine at the Mountaineer in Keene. It was a few years ago, but you could check with them.