Adirondacks vs The Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtaft11

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been hiking in the Adirondacks a bunch of times and was thinking of hiking the Catskills for some different views. However, I have heard that the views are not that good as most of the summits are overgrown with trees. Is it worth the longer drive out there? I live closer to the Adirondacks so not sure it would be worth it?

Thanks for any advise!

Depends....

There is nothing like Haystack, Upper Range, Algonquin, Marcy, Skylight in the Cats.
Many wooded summits in the Catskills as there are in the ADKs. However, lots of nice views on almost all of the peaks.
What you'll find in the Catskills, though is much more deciduous forest higher up on the mountains, meaning the views in leafless season are nice and those same deciduous forest make for nicer bushwhacking and a broader diversity of flora and fauna.

I love them both, but after being a complete 'Adirondack snob' for a long time, fell in love with the Catskills and enjoy them both.
The ADKs grab you by the lapels at once. The Catskills often take a little more time but I enjoy the contrast.

The Cats can really kick your a$$. The Devil's Path is considered an extremely tough hike. Many of the Catskills hikes are shorter because you literally get out of the car and start the ascent right there in the parking lot. There are no 'above-tree-line-360-degree-views', except the fire towers. There are some herd paths, but when we say bushwhacking, we mean it!

I love them both. I've done multiple rounds of each and will continue to visit them always.

But if you want to know where my heart lies, read my sig. :D

As a CT native with nothing worth hiking (this is a false statement, we have lots of fun hikes & the area around Bear Mt is even somewhat rugged but would have made a boring opening line...) but close to many mountain destinations, I've hiked in both the Catskills & ADK's.

I'm a view junkie & then a peakbagger so while I'm finally finishing the 115, (11 left all in ADK's) I've already decided I likely will not do the Cat 35 although I'm more than a third done. I do have my favorites there, Devil's Path, Hunter, Blackhead & Blackdome, Slide & Panther to name a few but bushwhacking through thick scrub to stand amongst some more trees & to check a box won't sway my mind. (I'll be surprised if I have a date next to Vly, Bearpen, Rusk or Fir.)

In the ADK, there's just a few of these, Tabletop, Esther to name a couple but they are close to fine views or combined with trips to peaks above treeline. (I'm not looking at doing Owl's head in NH 12X either)

Catskill trails, the Cloves, the streams are all neat, (Devils Path among the hardest of travereses) a couple of the roads are almost as scenic as Route 73 also, just with less cliffs. You don't get the dramatic rock filled views but the ones you get are quite nice. I'd say they are more reminiscient (sic?) of views you'd get in Southern VT or the Taconics or the southern ADK's. (Hadley, Crane).

The Catskills would be a good alternative for a foliage hike based on the types of trees you'll see. (Although the higher peaks will still be firs and spruce close to you.) You're closer to the maples on the valley floor in the Catskills than you are from Whiteface or Giant.

Personally, I wrestle with the whole, Whites Vs. Adirondacks comparison even though I've been to NH dozens of times (maybe a 100) more. I've been up all the NH peaks more times than I've been on Gothics or Haystack both of which may have the best views outside of Baxter State Park.

There is no place in the Catskills like Chapel Pond or the Ausable Lakes. (They are neat to see from the Southern Taconics on a clear day, truly impressive rising above the Hudson valley) I've heard they may be more impressive by boat along the Hudson. Some of the best trout fishing in the east can be found in the Catskills too.

Vly and Bearpen are pretty much trailed now. See, you should come back! :D

There is no Chapel Pond, but there are other unique view points, waterfalls (Kaaterskill Falls anyone?) , ponds, bogs, that you will find if you come and explore.

This is true of every mountain range of course...

There are also great views from Bearpen. There are non 3500 summits with great views too. Even though you may not get a summit view on all the 3500, you can always come across something interesting on a hike. I've been working on the Catskill Hundred Highest and even though I may not always get views, I always find something interesting and enjoy the remote feeling and solitude on some of these peaks. The Cats are a great place to hone your map and compass skills too.

The Cats and the ADK's each have their own unique features. I would suggest you do the Burroughs Range traverse. Lots of good views on the summit and otherwise on this trek

The Catskills are probably worth visiting at least once just to experience something a little bit different.

That said, after doing ~20 peaks there I personally have zero desire to spend any more time in the Cats. There's better mountains to be had.

Dax - you beat me to it. The series of ledges beyond Bearpen's summit are terrific.

I find myself smiling. The comments about the Cats are almost exactly what I used to say. I was a lot more indelicate about it:
"....why do I want to waste my time on those sh*t peaks?" was a phrase I often used.
You guys should let Tom, Laurie, Ralph, or Jim show you some real sights.

He retired from his job a few years ago. Since then, I've bumped into him once or twice on the trails. I got the impression he was trying to live a solitary life...

The Cats will won't provide the "WOW" moments of the ADK high peaks, but they're pretty cool anyway. I believe technically they're not a mountain range, but an ancient high plateau that's eroded with deep "cloves" or valleys between the high points. If getting and staying well away from the road is your goal, the dacks are the place to go, but the Cats are a lot more accessible.

Thanks everyone! Looks like its worth checking out the Catskills at least once.

More than once.Wittenberg, Cornell & Slide trip & the Devil's Path are classics. The walk out to Giant Ledge is pretty quick and easy & fishing & boating are great too.

I need to get back for a hike myself, I'd had a couple planned but keep having to run home or it's raining & I'm trying to cut down on my let's go hike in the rain days.

Last edited: