ADK hike recommendation during mud season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdl

Reaction score
I have some time off from 4/18-4/22 and plan on spending it in the High Peaks. I realize this is approaching or right in the middle of peak mud season, and I'm familiar with list the DEC publishes of trails to avoid.

What are some trails where the mud will only be at knee level rather than waist level ???

On a side note, any idea when ice out on Henderson Lake or Newcomb Lake will be ?

rdl said:
and I'm familiar with list the DEC publishes of trails to avoid.

What are some trails where the mud will only be at knee level rather than waist level

now I'm not against people hiking but why don't we all try and hike different trails that are not as susceptible to trail damage. i know it's mud season in the ADK's but there are areas where the mud is not too bad and some areas that it's almost non-existent....

just trying to point this out.....

happy hiking

i know it's mud season in the ADK's but there are areas where the mud is not too bad and some areas that it's almost non-existent....

I think that's why I'm asking this question. Perhaps I should have added some :D :D :D after my depth of mud sentence...

So what are some areas where the mud is almost non-existant ???

rdl said:

I think that's why I'm asking this question. Perhaps I should have added some :D :D :D after my depth of mud sentence...

So what are some areas where the mud is almost non-existant ???

i was over in the lake george area and it was really dry. I would guess that the eastern areas have less in the way of water then the central area.

i would try anything like Crane mtn. Hadley mtn. the tounge range, buck mtn, black mtn, spruce mtn, Pharaoh mtn, Hurricane mtn. Poke-o-moonshine lyon mtn. and any area that has some good drainage. oh yeah, the catskills should be dry also.

everything in the middle will be wet for a while as the snowmelt is slow this year..

happy hiking

I am in the same spot as percious. I have a 4 day weekend April 23-26 and I am looking for trails that will be less muddy where I will cause less damage. I am open to either ADK or Catskills hiking. It would be great to get some more of my 46 but I would defer this to avoid slogging thru deep mud. I know I need to wait to time is closer, but I am also interested in what type of equip I will need given this iffy weather time of year.

If anyone is interested in hiking that Sat or Sun, let me know. I am also looking ofr compnay on the trail

percious, Sorry - I wasn't clear. The web site I posted will, if I recall correctly, post trail advisories when they are in effect. There's nothing posted there now because there are no current advisories.

RE: the road less muddy

I spent a very cold night at John Pond April 4/5 (near Indian Lake in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness). Once the ice melts the trails should be pretty good. There are presently many bare spots and the maximum snow depth is a foot or so. That will be gone in the next week.
- Bob M.

The only muddy trail I've been on lately is from the Loj to Marcy Dam, and that is a hardened valley trail. The mud will persist there until the frost comes out. The mountains are still snowbound. You'd have to dig down a few feet through snow, chisel out some frozen ground, then thaw it under your armpit before seeing mud. Of course that will change when ma nature decides it WILL change, not when DEC decides it SHOULD change.

It is possible that the most damage you will cause during mud season will be to your boots. Go to your local farm supply store and buy a pair of Tingley overboots for $25 to slip over your hiking boots. Then you can walk in the mud in the middle of the trail like DEC recommends w/o damaging your $$ hiking boots.

Ice out

Ice-out on most Adirondack lakes will likely be the last week of April... then you can paddle in ice-water for a while.