Advice on stretching leather mountaineering boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sijesi

Reaction score
Hey, in the two or three years since I last jammed my feet into my nubuck suede La Sportiva mountaineering boots they seem to have gotten somewhat snug. So much so that a day in the 'Dacks might cripple me. Does anyone know of a homespun way to get a half a size or so of give in these things? A whole new pair will probably break my budget. You folks were a great help when I was looking for snowshoes, so, again, any advice would be appreciated.

--Sijesi :eek:

Hmm... how tight are they and where?

-Do your toes hit the front? If yes, then which toes? You might be able to stretch a side here and there with a bar... but if all of them smack... then... hmmm

-Does it feel tight on your instep? If yes then the volume of the boot has gotten smaller. There isn't much I know to do to completely stretch the whole thing out other than maybe wearing them a lot and hoping they stretch out some.

-Do you have any aftermarket insoles in there? Whatever insoles you have, how thick are they? You could look at other aftermarket insoles that are thinner, which would gain you some volume but it might be at the cost of a sloppy heel or less arch support.

-What thickness sock are you using? If they aren't thin you could try thinner... a very easy way to change the volume and to significantly change the fit of the boot.

Other than these quick fixes you could always take the boot to a professional and have them take a look and see if there is something that could be done. Sorry, don't have any recommendations but I'm sure someone here does.

-Does it feel tight on your instep? If yes then the volume of the boot has gotten smaller. There isn't much I know to do to completely stretch the whole thing out other than maybe wearing them a lot and hoping they stretch out some.
Feet can also expand, but the net effect is the same.

Doug

If it is width, then you might try the old method of quick break-in by filling them with water* and letting them sit for 10 minutes, dumping and wearing til dry. This will help stretch leather in some spots. Essentially the upper widens, but the sole remains constant.
*If Goretex liners, you would have to sock the boot in water.

For length, I found that by removing the OEM footbed liner in my old pair of Merrell Moutaineering boots, and going with a thinner sneaker style liner, I could get additional length. Note as stated that it might cause arch/instep discomfort.

If it is width, then you might try the old method of quick break-in by filling them with water* and letting them sit for 10 minutes, dumping and wearing til dry. This will help stretch leather in some spots. Essentially the upper widens, but the sole remains constant.
*If Goretex liners, you would have to sock the boot in water.
I have read this suggestion a number of times. (I've never tried it, so I have no idea if it works.)

FWIW, Limmer states that it is a bad idea. Soaking isn't good for the leather.

Doug

Feet can also expand, but the net effect is the same.
Yep, I guess what I really meant by "the volume of the boot has gotten smaller" was that "your feet have gotten bigger" :D
But yeah, the effect is the same... what was once adequate volume is not anymore.

For length, I found that by removing the OEM footbed liner in my old pair of Merrell Moutaineering boots, and going with a thinner sneaker style liner, I could get additional length. Note as stated that it might cause arch/instep discomfort.
I've experimented with that with my La Sportivas. Yep, with a thicker insole my toes would be closer to the top and so I'd get more toe bang. With my current insoles the toe box area is thinner and so there is more room in there, but I still have some arch support and a good heel cup.

Last edited:
I have stretched many a shoe because of my bad feet.
I use the shoe stretcher and the liquid. http://www.shoeshinekit.com/profshostret.html
I have placed several bulky socks over the stretcher and the maxed out the stretching.
I have left the stretcher in for as long as a week or 10days on desperate cases. I move the little bunion gadget to different holes to stretch in a variety of places.
A ski shop might be able to put it on their stretcher. One up in Stowe was kind enough to do it to one of my hiking boots. They are really industrials strength. Wearing thinner socks can help a little.
If the boot it too short I don't think there is a whole lot you can do to make it longer.
Good luck.