Airline Travel w/ Camp Stove

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomD said:
The website said no stoves at all, but when I called and asked, I was told that was wrong. Just don't bring any fuel-liquid or gas and at least on Southwest, you should be fine.
I have seen advice that you should get such assurances in writing with a name attached. Policies are not necessarily applied uniformly across an organization.

Doug

United will confiscate your stove.

i have a family member who works as a baggage agent at United. If you're carrying a backpack (or see that you have one) they will ask you if you have a stove. Tell them the truth and they will confiscate it (or ask you to airmail it home).

If you disguise your backpack by putting it in a duffel bag, nobody will ask you, but they do swipe the bags and pass it through an ICP-MS (which if you check the wikpedia article has a sensitivity below 1 in 10^12 parts), open your bag, and pull out your stove. This happens behind the scenes, or in smaller airports, agents hold the bag and pass it to TSA who does the scan.

Plan ahead and ship it.