"albino" or Grey Deer spotted on the way home.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is probably a Piebald deer. They are not true albinos, usually having some sort of white in them, but not totaly. Its probably still in its winter coat (which is lighter in color than summer) which would account for the odd coloring, when factoring in the "piebald" part.

Brian

In the spring the White tails turn from greyish-brown to a reddish-tan/light brown. The shades vary considerably.

Neither of the deer pictured above is a Piebald deer

...and neither of them is an "albino" for that matter, even though the second one is labeled as such...though it may have "pigment" issues.

Albino deer are completely white year-round and they have pink eyes. They are rarer than the Piebalds.

Here's the story behind the "white" white-tailed deer in chips post.

Last edited:
There is an entire albino deer herd living behind the fence at the Seneca army depot. They can be seen when you drive by the area. They got trapped in there when the place was built, and bred the gene into an entire herd. It's pretty neat to see.

hillman1 said:
There is an entire albino deer herd living behind the fence at the Seneca army depot. They can be seen when you drive by the area. They got trapped in there when the place was built, and bred the gene into an entire herd. It's pretty neat to see.
They're "White" whitetailed deer...not "albinos".

Only the brown deer were hunted, that's why the white deer herd multiplied so well.

See my link above for more info.

I have been hunting for 28 years now and those deer still freak me out.

My uncle came across an all black deer, even black eyes, weighing over 300 pounds (a monster up here) that someone had hit and killed. He said it was the most unnerving thing he had ever seen in the woods, still gives him the willy's talking about it. His description was that of a carnivorous mutant deer from outer space that you might see on a rated "D" sci-fi movie, I guess the teeth were a little "different". I guess the wardens were there as well and took it away. And no, he said it definitely wasn't a moose.

Is there such a thing as reverse-albinoism?

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
In the spring the White tails turn from greyish-brown to a reddish-tan/light brown.
All good info guys, thanks.
I knew it wasn't true "albino", but anything white or grey tends to get referred to as albino.

I've never noticed a standard seasonal color change, like they were losing a winter coat, but maybe that occurs further north.

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
Yes...It's called Melanism. It's caused by excessive color pigments. The opposite of albinoism which is a complete lack of pigments. Both are pretty rare.

If you've even been to the Medford Fells/Wright's Pond in MA, check out the "grey" squirrels there. They are pretty much all charcoal black. At least they were a bit more than ten years ago when I lived in the area.

And there's a surprising amount of wildlife and trails there for the middle of a city.

I've been seeing a few black "red" squirels running around latley. Its always need when you get to see a very common animal thats is differnt from all the others. I was wondering if the colors effected the animlas in any way socially. The other day I was watching a group of rock doves. One out of teh group was albino and was being shunned by the other more uniform ones. Any time the white one got anywhere near the others they would all get up and fly away from him.

Piebald Deer

Saw one in a small county park in NJ- of all places.

Saw a deer with an unusual rack- one antler was growing down and one up. Hunter friend said occurs once in a blue moon.