Allen 1-22-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
4 score and 42 peaks ago, I embarked on a journey I would really not know for 3 years to come. Now I’ve become a 46er and somehow coerced into this winter round its all coming to an end of a list and this weekend would prove a little more about myself to me.

On Saturday I would have the company of apex-al and kensquest on Marshall, having seen the register of Allen that Joe Cedar had been thru now gave more talk about our second days Peak, Allen or Big Slide. Many thoughts and talk myself and Ken finally agree, its Allen, ready for the taking, but could we be ready after such a day before.

Waking up an hour earlier than the day before and drained of energy we joke about which one to choose even as we are preparing to leave. Saturday would be a cozy 3 degrees, not today, its -15….BRRRRRRR Off to the TH of Allen where we would meet mike and Doug getting ready. All I can think off is how tired and drained I was and “What the HELL are we doing!! “ Signed in and off at 5:30ish, mike and Doug are like lightning Bolts speeding down the trail, I , not so much. My legs are Jell-O, my mind wanders and argues if I have the Fortitude to continue another 10 hours and 17 miles after yesterdays 15 mile day, something I don’t do much of, back to back days. Few miles into it Kens all up in my business, hey man we got to pick up the pace, I said, this is the pace.  Thoughts of turning around, going forward race thru my Brain, at this point it’s a coin toss whether I continue, yet on we continue. Ken would apologize later down the trail but without his support and Push this report may never be, thanks Ken for the extra attitude I needed to readjust my mind.

Hudson crossed with running water 15 feet to the right, check, from there all crossing where like land, solid. I had talked to Mr. Cedar the night before and kept my mind on one of his phrases, it’s just walking, and that I did. Finally feeling better once daylight broke and temps Rose. Ken and I would make this journey with each other thru the day as it got better and better. Finally climbing and once on the slide where it opens to the World, my spirits gather stronger, my legs still weak but mind stronger. Ken would summit first and it just felt to never end but it did!! Having reached the summit I wasted no time, catching my breath, a few pics and I wanted to get back down on the open slide to take some of the best Views of the frosty summits. Even took some video of Ken butt sliding, wish I had not forgotten my saucer. I paused as long as I could reminding myself that not many days are warm, blue skies on Allen, in Winter.

The trip descending went fast. I found myself hitting a wall and then re-energizing throughout the rest of the trip back to the car, spirits on the upside as I had just pushed thru 33 miles+-(19.5 hours) in two days. To boot I was nursing a knee that was sore to start but was just fine the rest of the day until we crossed back over the opela. Where I stopped for like 5 minutes to find on the restart it didn’t want to start, locking up sore, thanks for the Advil Mike. So no long stops from there the rest of the way out. Also to mention meeting bogden which came in after us.

Sure did find out what I had deep down to get me thru such a long day, friends and will power!! 42W

allen pics

Good Job Rob (that rhymes...), sounds like good conditions on Allen for you... getting a lot closer too. :)

Jay

Wow! Rob, good job on Allen and also 42W now. I have a few friends who will be happy to read your report.
Congratulations.:)

Well they should thank Joe Cedar too, he made sure we could see the way..:D see you and annie soon i hope at the gathering :cool:

I will miss you Rob and all my other friends this year.
We cannot be there this year, and it will be the first time I will miss a ADKHighpeaks Winter Gathering. I had made a reservation at the Ark and I had to cancel it two week ago.

Good timing, as it rained a lot yesterday and was way above freezing for more than 24 hours!

What's next?