Almost The Last Trip Of North Country Paddling Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Reaction score
Carted my canoe a block to the neighborhood put in; and spent a lovely couple of hours on Hannawa Pond, an impoundment of the Raquette River, across the street from my house.

Air temps were running around 18 deg F, snow on the ground and a slight wind. Had to persuade a bit of ice to let me put the boat in, otherwise an uneventful paddle.

The paddling season in the North Country is winding down; and it's time to get the x-country skis out.

Bring on the skis

Yes, I paddled for 3 hours on the ocean yesterday. We put in at Cape Porpoise and explored the protected islands, went to the light house and hiked around the Goat Island. I will still paddle but it is time for the snow to come and go skiing the trails.

I paddled the Hudson 2 weeks ago from Norrie State Park to Rhinebeck and back. I crossed the channel twice to keep the distance down. Only 2 barges went by. I met 1 paddler en route and 3 at Rhinebeck. Hoping to go again as soon as the winds get reasonable but before the ice floes come.

I paddled the Hudson 2 weeks ago from Norrie State Park to Rhinebeck and back. I crossed the channel twice to keep the distance down.

Yes, that's a huge bay in the area of the lighthouse and the Mills Mansion.
I have been looking at the Hudson lately, still thinking about one more trip, but it has been very windy this past week.

After 5 or 6 paddles, I find that the wind speed is almost always greater than the predictions on weather.com or wunderground.com. Twice it seems the direction was off quite a bit. But that is only for open stretches where the wind has reach.

So generally I use the predictions as minimums.

So far it seems Rhinebeck or Norrie are more popular cold water paddling launches than Tivoli, the Germantowns, or Catskill.

I was paddling this past Sat , Great Bay NH . In particular looking to see if the Bald Eagles are arriving from up north.
They are usually there from Dec through March. The Bay is still ice free, the paddling started out rough and windy but improved as the day went along.
Lots of waterfowl, the only down side was lots of duck hunters presumably because it was a Saturday.

Inspiring to see lots of wildlife ...not so much hearing blam blam and watching the ducks rain dead or half dead from the sky.

Either way I'll be back on the water....I try to get out once a week or every 10 days or so. Tides pretty high right now. Snow and cold temps this past week up north will probably bring Eagles down around this area.

After 5 or 6 paddles, I find that the wind speed is almost always greater than the predictions on weather.com or wunderground.com. Twice it seems the direction was off quite a bit. But that is only for open stretches where the wind has reach.

So generally I use the predictions as minimums.

Try the National Weather Service...I find that their forecasts are usually "worst case."

Referring to the map (under "Detailed Point Forecast") ...clicking on the land will provide the weather. Clicking on any blue parts (water) will provide the marine forecast. It's cool to see how the marine forecast changes drastically when you click inside a bay or harbor and then click out in the open water.

Really great site.

Thanks for the tip.

By the way, the Tivoli launch has 4-5 feet of sheet ice, and there are large quantities of thin ice moving with the tide. Makes quite a bit of noise, although not as much as Amtrak.

Referring to the map (under "Detailed Point Forecast") ...clicking on the land will provide the weather. Clicking on any blue parts (water) will provide the marine forecast. It's cool to see how the marine forecast changes drastically when you click inside a bay or harbor and then click out in the open water.

Really great site.

Wait a second....did u see the time IC wrote this? We went kayaking a few hours later on the Peconic River and he didn't tell you that? sham on you chris! We had a good time but also heard the bam bam sounds of shotguns in the background. Our yearly short winter paddle, got some ice on the sides of the river but no snow this year....good time was had, and what a friend he is, he's leaving me to take his family skiing in VT! What am I to do? :confused:

Almost forgot to tell you folks, that day before we went paddling I bought a werner paddle...nice 25oz :) Now I gotta wait a few more weeks to use it....you know who (IC) choose bicycling over kayaking :confused:

Dec 31 2010

Great day to be paddling and perfect day to close out the year !
Sunny skies, temps in the high 40's. Seas have settled down and the wind was just a whisper.
Paddled a round trip from Ipswich (Pavilion Beach) down to Gloucester Mass (Anisquam Light house)
About 6 hrs on the water... give or take some goofing off ;-).

Here's to a great New Year for all !

Great day yesterday, I was invited to go seal watching down here but I wrapped up my tourning boat for the season and couldn't take the rec boat out for this trip :( Time to start planning this years trips...IC and I are going back to work on the NFCT this spring and Summer, maybe I'll set up another paddle gathering in the ADK this year again or maybe another state? Happy paddling!

Great day yesterday, I was invited to go seal watching down here but I wrapped up my tourning boat for the season and couldn't take the rec boat out for this trip :( Time to start planning this years trips...IC and I are going back to work on the NFCT this spring and Summer, maybe I'll set up another paddle gathering in the ADK this year again or maybe another state? Happy paddling!

What the heck does that mean "wrapped up my touring boat...?" In saran wrap?
:D
Yes...another state!!! Better yet...let's go international!!!

Very funny.....If I had a nice garage like yours I wouldn't have to weather proof it....Let's do some VT paddling...get your uncle's maps...

:D
Yes...another state!!! Better yet...let's go international!!!

If you do go international on the NFCT it is map #6 that would do the trick.

My friend, from Sherbrooke, who paddles on the international waters of Lake Memphremagog learned that you don't have to check with customs unless you make landfall.
So on days when he just paddles across the line for a few hrs or a portion of the trip he doesn't have to check in..but my guess is he keeps his passport with him just in case, though I am not completely sure as they have a type of passport license, that as yet I don't think we have.

His paddling season ended the beginning of Dec so more than likely you'll be needing to paddle salt water for the winter season till things open up in the north .

Last edited:
His paddling season ended the beginning of Dec so more than likely you'll be needing to paddle salt water for the winter season till things open up in the north .

You're right.
As we speak, ColdFeet and I are planning a salt water assault of some lesser visited sites in one of Long Island's north shore coves or in one of the south shore bays...;)

Oh...and thanks for the tip on map #6. Other than the NFCT though (in warmer weather), I was actually thinking of just making a bee-line north. Drive for 24 hours straight and see how far into Canada we can get (from Long Island, NY). It must bring us somewhere remote...like to Chapais, Quebec. Looks like lots of lakes and rivers there. Just a crazy idea.

Last edited:
IC and I are packed and ready to brave the elements later this afternoon, plan is to stealth camp (secret ), cashe some stuff like firewood, drinks, cookware, and paddle later tonight app 6pm for 2 miles, get gear, set up, and enjoy the cold evening. Will paddle around tomorrow before low tide slows us down. Will let you know how it went when we get back. Seems like everytime we kayak camp I have so much gear :rolleyes: