Alternative to Havasu Falls in June

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
Havasu Falls in Arizona Grand Canyon - I have tried to make reservations for 3 nights at their campground for June today. They told me they are fully booked for the month of June.

We don't have much flexibility on the dates for our trip.

Here is a shout out to anyone on the board who might be able to suggest a suitable alternative.

Thanks. :)

The only thing I can suggest is to keep calling, and hoping for a possible cancellation. It's the same way as far as trying to obtain a Grand Canyon overnight permit from the back country office, or trying to secure an overnight reservation at Phantom Ranch. Instead of using a waiting list, they just give the slots away to whomever happens to call at the right moment. I've never done any hiking in the west end of the canyon and have not been to the village of Supai, so I'm not up on all of the options there. Since that whole area is on reservation land, the only real option to visiting Havasupai Falls is to use their camping facilities. Are you strictly locked in to visiting and hiking at the Grand Canyon? You could camp at the Mather camp grounds on site at the canyon itself and day hike the various trails.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cg-sr.htm

You can also use the Ten X Campground that is on route 64, just south of the village of Tusayan, and about 4 miles from the south rim entrance point.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/T...ode=NRSO&parkId=75372&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

Some of their sites are first come, first served, but they do also take reservations for a certain number of sites. It opens on May 1st. At this time of the year, hiking to the Colorado river from the rim is not usually advisable, since the river temps will pretty much hit 100+ degrees during the day. but there are plenty of interesting day hikes at the south rim where you can get away from the huge crowds that clog the Bright Angel and South Kaibab trails. Hiking down Hermit Trail, with a side trip to Dripping Springs, or doing the Grandview trail and exploring around Horseshoe Mesa are good options that avoid the intense heat at the canyon bottom. Or you can drive east on the Desert View road towards the Desert View Tower. The Tanner trail leaves from Lipan Point and hiking down to the saddles near both Escalante Butte and Cardenas Butte is a good day hike. None of the previous 3 hikes have any potable water on them, except for Dripping Springs which is reliable and would need to be filtered. Carry lots of H2O.

Last edited:
How long do you have?

Great backpack alternatives: Coyote Gulch in Escalante, Buckskin Gulch/Paria Canyon, something at the Grand Canyon (if you can get a walk up permit), or the Narrows in Zion (if you can get a walk up permit).

I personally really like the Page area, although it's more day hiking (unless you backpack Buckskin Gulch). There are also water activities available there, which can be nice if it's warmer.

There are so many options - you really can't go wrong. Are there any parks you've already seen/parks you'd really like to visit?

I have June 8 until June 14th. I would prefer 3 or 4 night backpacking trip.

Last edited:
I personally haven't done any 3 or 4 day backpacking trips - but I would guess Grand Canyon would be your best bet. I think there are some longer trails at Zion (but not really enough for 3 or 4 days) and Canyonlands (the Needles or the Maze district - but I think you might have to cache water).

You can try checking out these pages:

Zion National Park and area

Bogley
Backountrypost

You could also check out Kelsey's books - he has probably some of the most thorough books on the southwest. Although anything out of there will likely be off trail and require a bit of planning.

I wouldn't rule out some of the shorter backpack trips - they cover some pretty spectacular areas.

I don't know the details, but I think there are some nice opportunities in the Maze where you can catch a jet boat at the end back to Moab:

The Maze

Do you already have plane tickets booked? If you are flying into Vegas, Moab would be a little far.

No. Tickets are not booked yet but the dates are the firm as some family members are only available during that span. Northeast is not optimal for the black flies are feasting, South is probably too hot by June so I thought the desert is probably the best place to go.