Amc?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many reasons.

The highland center appears to have been a turning point for many on their feelings towards AMC, but as far back as the climbing scene in the gunks during the 60's there has been friction between the AMC and non AMC members (Yankee Rock & Ice, a NE history of rock Climbing by the Watermans should detail this, it's frequently mentioned in mountaineering and rock climbing histories). The reaction was so strong on this board to the Highland center that when I finally saw it, my initial reaction was along the lines of "that's it?". From the furor and even in places, rage, I was expecting a much more imposing building.

Others rustle at the large numbers the AMC hikes can bring into the woods, the presence of huts in the Whites, located on public land, often very near the border of a wilderness area. Some may have tried to contribute by working on a trail or lean to and have been told they needed to join the club and sometimes pay for the training. Others have complained of the little to no support given to hike and backpack leaders thinking that the AMC should provide some sort of funding. Thru Hikers have resented the fees at AMC campgrounds and Huts, others have felt intruded on when caretakers search their possessions worried that it was two hours after dark and you've not yet returned. I've heard many comments of political correctness run wild.

I'm sure many are just suspicious of big organizations or have had an issue important or dear to them opposed by the AMC. I sure there are many more reasons; some as simple as that the AMC is one big impersonal target.

For me, I've never been a club person and the AMC reflects a lot of the why's I'm not a club person. When I was member I didn't find them terribly transparent as an organization, my regional chapter was unimpressive to me. I was very disappointed in a (non regional ran) class.

It's hard to talk about here because the topic is always so heated and emotional it inevitably breaks down. If one side doesn't rave and state something out and out offensive and unreasonable the other try's to paint all those with opposing views in some sort of less than glamourous way. From one side or another or another a label, usually derogatory, is applied to a post or poster and it all spirals into something personal. Furthermore any comprehensive discussion here would almost have to delve into the political and so would invite a moderators intervention.

It's a shame because organizations such as the AMC are very likely to have increased say and lobbying ability on how public lands are used more so, I think, than in past as the voices of smaller groups and concerns are drowned out by the larger groups with more savy and dollars.

Anyway, I don't know if a whole lot of people hate the AMC, hate is after all a strong word. I think a lot of folk don't like some of things they do and in some ways are scared of them. There's lot's of strong feelings about them both positive and negative.

AMC and other clubs have been maintaining trails and running programs to educate folks about the Great Outdoors for many years - these efforts should be appreciated

AMC seems to get more flack from folks ever since they built the highprice center in Crawford Notch, seen as the straw that broke the camel's back by some

when you compare the cost of staying at an AMC hut to other club's shelters, you might wonder why it costs so much more to stay with the AMC
http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/highland/highland-rates.cfm
http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodging-rates.cfm#hut
http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/grayknob.html
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=54
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~doc/
http://www.adk.org/lodging

there are plenty of outdoors clubs you can help out ... if you feel funky contributing money towards AMC's goal of becoming the world's wealthiest "non-profit" empire, spread your contributions to the GMC, RMC, MATC, ADK, Trailwrights, WODC, DOC, etc

arm said:
when you compare the cost of staying at an AMC hut to other club's shelters, you might wonder why it costs so much more to stay with the AMC
The AMC offers something at their huts that none of the other organizations have, so I don't think that's a completely fair comparison. The only thing that compares in the northeast is Johns Brook Lodge in the Daks, and frankly I thought it was fairly poorly run when I stayed there. The huts offer more to people who are willing to pay more.

For shelter, none of the DOC shelters that I've worked on and with have anything like the traffic at the AMC shelters in the heart of the Whites. The AMC shelters that don't have much traffic don't have a caretaker or a fee, like Eliza Brook and most of the ones in the Mahoosucs.

I'm not trying to defend the AMC, they've done many things that have pissed me off and I don't think the Highland Center was a well thought out project. But they provide something that others don't, and I think whether I plan on taking advantage of it, there is a constituency for it that deserves to be served.

Having said that, I'm also a member of the DOC and RMC, and I'm a trail adopter for the DOC. My money, time, and effort go to a variety of organizations.

-dave-

With all due respect to those who have previously posted,including the excessive posters (how does one find the time?) may we drop this for now. Just get out on the trails.
Peace

Their intro to rock climbing class was fantastic

I had just joined, then got tipped off (right here on VFTT) about their Intro to Rock Climbing course from the Boston Chapter. What a great deal. $125 for five consecutive weekends (both days if you chose) of training with AMC volunteers, many with decades of experience. They supplied a book, a comprehensive syllabus, all equipment (including shoes, harness and helmet if you did not own your own), had the spots all picked out in the Blue Hills and Quincy Quarries, and added a lot of friendly energy.

So all I can say is they done me right!

I hate to reply to this kind of topic but as I work for a non-profit, I can relate to it on a personal basis. As a non-profit, the AMC does a desent job as far as other non-profits go on most of the ratings of merit.
AMC Rating
Single out the Highland Center if you wish, but it is only a very small part of what the AMC is. Why judge the whole organization but one small(however visable) component. No organization in perfect or above reproach, but one must look at the complete picture, not one piece. I will never stay at an AMC hut. Can't afford the $ and like my hammock more than listening to others snoring. :D But I thank the ones who can afford to listen to the snoring and are willing to pay the bucks so that the trails are kept in good shape. Let's face the reallity of supply and demand. If the huts cost $10 a night, either waiting list would be 3+ years or first come-first served would involve fist fights.

I only wish that I could go for a hike but I took a fastball from my son off my big toe and can barely walk. :(

Thanks for the info Quietman... Man... I wish I could make $243,000 a year to run Team Sherpa like Mr. Falander gets to run AMC. :eek:

Ok SJ, you pinged me. $243k/year might seem steeper than Huntington's, but if he has the right connections to the right donors to bring in 2-3million per year, can you judge if the investment is wise? If so, definetely a better investment that the stocks!! Also, most CEO's donate a % of compensation back to the organization. Don't know for sure but numbers are just math, open to interpretation. OK, this will be my mission to oncover the details, after I figure out how to pay for five kids in college :eek:

SJ-

I don't agree with a lot the AMC does. However, I know Mr. Falender from past experiences and as the head of a newly non-profit yourself, and JMHO, there is a lot to be learn from him.

Chastise his salary if you will, but an objective view, might conclude he's worth every penny.

Just my $.02, well, $.01....I'm non-profit too. ;)

Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.