American Marten in VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
They have been established at the AZ trail junction for many years, not sure why they love that spot. They also live near and the Greenleaf hut and have been seen even on the summit of Lafeyette.

Pack-raiding at the start of the Mt Tom spur features in the 2021 thread "Pine Marten Mt Field" which shows up under "Similar threads" at the bottom of this page.
PB, did you credit the wrong photographer again?
m059.jpg

I've seen these on/near several summits, most recently a few years ago on the Osgood Trail on the open ridge where it flattens out before dropping into the trees. The little bugger kept popping out and then hiding just as I was ready to get a picture. We played peek-a-boo for about 1/10 mile before I finally lost sight of him. I'm pretty sure I recall seeing one near North Lafayette summit before too.

Martens are common in the Adirondack High Peaks and skillful at raiding packs and lean-tos. Some have become bold and hang out at popular intersections.

I run into one at Bear Pond every time I'm up there that keeps its distance, had one run under my tarp high on Downes Brook once, and had a terrifying encounter last month in the Dry River with one chasing me.

I was coming down the Twinway up around Zealand Pond one day when I saw a flash of fur on the trail below me. I froze in the hope that I could get a better look at it. Indeed, it came up the trail towards me and was within 10 feet of me before he noticed me and disappeared into the underbrush. It was a lovely yellowy-brown color.

I had read this in the Digger last week.

Jill just took a job with VT Fish & Wildlife and is no longer working for NHF&G.