Ammo and Edmand's Path question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is that rescue teams were on both of those trails on Monday, but they do not post trail conditions or trip reports. You can check a related thread on river heights, which have come down a lot since Sunday and Monday.

Ammo conditions

I haven't submitted a trip report yet but did comment on snowbridge conditions on the Ammo in another thread "White Mt. River Levels" I didn't see your thread til after replying to that one.

Maybe too late but...

Hi there,

We hiked up Edmands path last Saturday (Feb. 23). There was a little hard crust on the trail and I believe it has not been hiked since a few days, but the bottom was hard. The snowshoes were needed, but we were not going to deep either. We were only 2 and had no problem for most of the run.

Than, getting near the junction with Crawford Path, things went worst. Powder snow was covering the trail, were the trail turns around Eisenhower to the junction. It was hard to progress, because of the slope and the unconsolidated snow. We would have needed snowshoes with crampons on the side, because it was hard to not slip towards the ravine! And with straight crampons, we would have fall into snow up to the knees for sure. We finally turned around at about 1/4 of a mile from the junction. But, I have to admit that maybe we were a bit chicken... I was not impassable, just tricky. I would think that with MSR style snowshoes, things would have been better.

Hope this helps!

Edmands path was untracable from just after the last cairn from the crawford path JCT (which is probably 3rd or 4th from the JCT or under 300 feet). I have never been there in non wintery months so that obviously didn't help my perception of the trail course. The trail appeared to go into a scrubby mess and deep snow which means Sprucetraps galore if you lose track of the path.