"....and for my wife's 40th birthday..."

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
I just got an email from an old fraternity/college buddy. He is 49 and his wife is turning 40. For her birthday, they "are going to climb Mt. Everest next month"...

I'm speechless. This guy is in good shape, but he has no particular hiking/climbing skills or experience that I am aware of.

I admire my friend's guts, (and his wallet) but a big part of me wants to scream at him....are you kidding me buddy??, you'll die up there!!!

Am I over-reacting? He is going with an experienced guide. Last year there were 200 summits made, and they say 500 is not out of the question in the near future.

I think Mt. Everest should be left to the experts with vast a experience of technical climbing at altitude. Should I try to convince him to stay home?? or just be careful and know your limitations.

I'm sure he's already numb to the "you're nuts". Buy him the book (or audio-book) "Into Thin Air" by John Krakauer (sp?)... maybe he'll change his mind. If not, let's hope that he:

1. Hired a reputable outfitter that will keep his safety in mind.
2. Summits!

Off topic: I'm always looking for partners to train with in the Syracuse area (stairs, hills, etc.). Send me a PM if you're interested.

Gee.

All I got was a weekend shopping with the wife in strip mall hell North Conway...

:D

Re: Gee.

Fitz said:
All I got was a weekend shopping with the wife in strip mall hell North Conway... :D

That can be as dangerous as crossing the Khumbu icefall...a 350 lb. woman in pink stretch pants could induce symptoms of cerebral edema in the best of us.

You're a strong man Fitz! :D

hardrain, your friend is not only crazy, he's suicidal. Nearly all of the reading I've done this winter has been about high altitude climbing, mostly Everest books, especially those about the monster storm in 1996. I must fully agree with rico that your friend and his wife must put their trust completely in the hands of a reputable Everest guide with impeccable credentials. If your friend is as inexperienced as you say he is, no reputable guide would dare take him up Everest.

So, no, you're not overreacting. Tell your friend to go to Colorado, or Alaska and leave Everest for a 50th birthday present.

(BTW, three posts from people in syracuse? sweet...)

Last edited:
Maybe this thread should be titled:
...And for my Frist Wife's 40th and final birthday.....
He may know what he's doing, you never know.
Tom

(For the humor impaired, this was an attempt at levity.)

Turning Everest into Mt Ranier?

I have read about trekking trips where you actually climb up on the lower part of the mountain but do not proceed to the high camps - you supposedly get a good taste of what it is like without the risk and associated misery of the "Death Zone" and stay 1 night at base camp.

Anyone who brings his wife on a high altitude climb just doubles their misery!!!!

hardrain,
have his wife read the first half of Joe Simpson's Dark Shadows Falling. He discusses those left on Everest to die, and passed by those summiting.

btw: I visited Syracuce once, does that count?

On satelite on the True Channel, they've showed the movie "Into Thin Air," a couple of times over the past couple of weeks. I think your friends need to watch it, as the most experience hikers in the world Scott Fischer, Doug? and the rest of the guides along with other climbers died on the mountain. The movie so real in
re-enactment, touching, tear jerking. I could never imagine. They showed the skeletons of the dead bodies all around. I have to agree this was not a gift, but yet a suicide proposal.

Just so I can chime in with another message from Syracuse, I doubt they are trying to summit, but probably do some hikes/climbs near base camp and such. I'm sure your buddy has a lot more common sense than to attempt the summit. . . unless those frat years took it away from him :)

You have to admit, it's an experience we all want. To climb the highest peak - the ultimate.
It's definately suicidal though. Regardless of experience, so much could go wrong. Even if I was in shape for that, I don't know if I would ever do it. I remember seeing a program a long time ago with the late Alex Lowe - at base camp of some peak he banged out 100 pull-ups in a row - no problem. That's pretty friggin' awsome.

Anyway...Hardrain - good luck to your friends. When are they going? Keep us posted.

Better start training now! :)

I went to Syracuse U for 2 years so perhaps you can say an ex-Syracusian

Jay

May I point out that if the person is in extremely good physical shape and is mentally focused, with the right guide, Everest isn't so far fetched - Especially under the right conditions.

I do not mean to diminish the perception of Everest as there are many, many dangers, but as I recall from many of the books I have read, it isn't really a technical climb with exception of the Khumbu Icefall and the Hillary Step - It's really a long hard, hard, walk with oxygen.

I am also wondering if he is going to climb Everest to a certain spot (Such as base Camp or Camp 1 and return) or is he going with the intention of summitting?

I read somewhere that there are now hiking tours that climb Everest, but only to one of the camps. It is much cheaper than summitting.

as the most experience hikers in the world Scott Fischer, Doug?

Scott Fischer and Rob Hall were the guides that died that day. Rob Hall spoke with his pregnant wife from somewhere near the Hillary Step via sattelite phone as he was dying. Very sad to read, nearly brought me to tears when reading Lene Gamelgaard's book, I don't remember the title.

A trekking trip was something I had never thought of. Trekking into base camp would be a more likely trip for inexperienced hikers. I hope that's what these people are doing.

[I read somewhere that there are now hiking tours that climb Everest, but only to one of the camps. It is much cheaper than summitting. [/B][/QUOTE]

I've seen these too. A summit trip up Everest is about 50-65K per person, depending on how experienced the outfitter is. A base camp expedition can be had for around 2K, less if you go with a local outfitter.

If only........

I were his wife!!

It is on my dream list, but the $$$$$ will probably never be there for that?!

But the dream keeps me hiking in hopes of the BIG climb one day!

I say more power to them both! If they need an extra Sherpa, I'll send my phone no. and resume!!:D :D

Nadine said:
A summit trip up Everest is about 50-65K per person, depending on how experienced the outfitter is. A base camp expedition can be had for around 2K, less if you go with a local outfitter.

When my son was around there, he went near Everest, (solo) The whole 40 days of hiking cost him less than $100. He was above, looking down at the Everest base camp, but said that if he wanted to go there, he would have to spend some (relatively) obscene amount for a permit. Permits in the less popular areas cost peanuts.

Re: Thanks Pete!

iceNsnow said:
Looks like I can get my hopes up again!

Well, les's see.. The plane ride over there is expensive, but once there, if you are willing to

- eat like the locals
- be willing to sleep on the street from time to time.
- just about anywhere but Everest.
- go on your own, without guides
- take long bus rides instead of helicopter rides,
- sacrifice time for money (son was gone for 6-7 months. a delay of a few days meant nothing to him.)

If you can deal with that, you can get by for almost nothing... Oh yeah.. You may have to deal with someone throwing up on our legs, at the beginning of a 12 hour non-airconditioned bus ride.