animal sightings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If attacked by a llion fight back with all you have. let it know you are not food. :eek:

A little animal joke if you will, I always tell new groups of kids I take outdoors.

They usually ask about bears and such but I quickly tell them they should be more concerned with the dreaded mattabooboo. This usually invokes alot of questions and you need to be patient, but one person will undoubtley say, "What's a mattabooboo?"

The reply of course is..."Nuthing Yogi." :eek:

Of course nowadays kids don't know about Jellystone's favorite bear and I have to keep the laughter to myself (probably should have kept this post too..oh well).

I'm here all night folks. :D

peace.

SherpaKroto said:
Weatherman, I feel your pain. I was hiking with Tramper when he saw the Moose high on the Pine Bend trail, and a ways behind him when he saw his bear on North Brother.

Al, what, no otters? How about Eagles?

Yeah, let's see. I only listed the mammals, but I have a pretty decent list of big birds spotted on trail as well.

Otters, not yet. I first noticed otter tracks only earlier this winter on the Catamount Trail in southern VT. The tracks are very cool, like a mini pulk sled with hind foot prints pushing off every once in a while. I saw tracks again yesterday along the West Branch, but only the 'sweep' couple on that ski trip actually saw the otters. Apparently, it helps to lounge around for a while, having a leisurely lunch by the 'Soudahunk Falls. Eventually the otters come out to play.

Eagles, yes. I've seen some bald eagles over the Androscoggin, in that nice Class 2 run above Milan, and on the NFCT as it comes down the Connecticut. Also on trail, I saw both a bald and a golden eagle while I paddled the length of Flagstaff Lake on the NFCT. SherpaK will remember that 'supported' trip.

I've had many great on-trail encounters with barred owls, red tails, and great blues. I surprised a northern saw-whet owl on my all season 48th trip up Isolation. Fortunately, he stayed around (5 feet away) long enough for my wife to catch up and see him too.

And "fool's hen's", of course are so commonly spotted that we might mention in our trip reports when we don't see one. I spooked two yesterday skiing on the AT. They ski well.

Oh, yes, how could I forget this. While hiking a New Hampshire County Highpoint last summer, I saw several elk crossing the trail and literally dozens of feral pig / wild boar creatures running about. And the views from the top (and fire tower) were really nice too.

Last edited:
Isn't it nice that bald eagles are becoming a dime a dozen! I hear they're pretty common on Lake Umbagog. I've seen one on I-95 heading north while crossing the bridge over the Merrimac River. Thought it was a seagull at first but closer observation indicated otherwise ... almost drove off the bridge rubbernecking! Likewise have seen a few crossing the Connecticut River on the Mass Pike.

Saw a great horned owl on the logging road enroute Stetsontown. It was atop an old dead tree next to the road ... we watched it and it watched us for a few minutes as it flaunted the horns ... the show-off ... then it took flight with a graceful and proud display of wingspan that has to create some species envy among us mammals.

I have been hiking about a dozen times per year (used to be alot more) for the last 15 years and generally do not see any wildlife hiking in the high peaks of NY, NH & Vt. I do see alot of wild life near the roads driving to and from trailheads though. Moose are frequent in NH, deer in NY. I have only been to Maine a couple of times but saw many moose roadside and even the only bald eagle I ever saw in the wild road side (OK, by wild here I mean not in a zoo). What have I seen on the trail ?

Deer in a couple of occasions, once on trail to Pharoah Mountain, once last month at reservoire trailhead to Whiteface. The deer stopped and stared a bit before bolting. Saw a fisher (or some weasel like animal) many years ago right before reaching the maintained trail while coming off the Seward trailhead. Saw a black bear around noon time at "hitch up matilda's" at Avalanche Lake. In NH I saw moose at onset of an early morning hike up one of the southern 4Kers, right south of the Kanc, I cannot remember which one. I could only see him because there was some sort of road that was straight for a half mile or so I I could see him in the distance. I started all of my climbs of that group of peaks from the same general area on the Kanc. I saw Beaver on several occasions in ADKs, near herdpath start to street & nye for instance. And many many squirrels, chipmucks, grouse and woodpeckers. By and large I seemore wildlife at work(I work for a computer company in an office) or at home then hiking. I suspect the count of wildlife that sees me that I do not notice is much, much higher. Evidence of there presence I see on almost every hike (droppings, tracks, etc...). I also see alot more wildlife in my few canoe trips, as animals like to hang out near the water, much moreso then up in the hills. Plus I make much less noise in a canoe then walking, no matter how soft my steps.

Nighteagle said:
Besides crapping your pants and praying, whats the best way to deal with an unfriendly lion where both you and the lion walk away ??

Standing up, waving your arms and screaming - preferably moving towards the animal to show you are bigger and badder as opposed to running down the trail away from the animal. ;) You could also carry the holstered bear mace. Unfortunately, by the time you see a dangerous animal, if it's after you, it's too late to generate much of a thoughtful response. Pets are at more risk than you are. Being approached by a rabid racoon or a sick/injured coyote is much more likely around here than cougars or bear.

I see many

I live in an area of NY State between the Catskills & Adirondacks & go for walks a few times each week along the Schoharie River or up the surrounding hills & I have MANY, MANY pics of deer, fox, BALD EAGLES, herrons, swans, Canada Geese as well as snow geese, over 1000 pics. The wild life here is plentiful.

I am new here & am having trouble posting pics. It only allows pics up to 100kb & all my pics are bigger than that. Any ideas how to post them here?

Cold River Bob said:
I saw this on another fourm, How would you like to see this on you front step?http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=2043

This is from the linked article below, March 5, Hornell Evening Tribune, Apparently these pictures have been floating around for years, not that it's not possible, but this story has all the markings of classic Urban Legand.

"An e-mail sent to various local media and officials from someone claiming to be Ginny Allen is unsubstantiated, according to Russ Biss, the DEC Region 9 Natural Resources supervisor. Biss said the e-mail, which contains photograph attachments of supposed mountain lions, has been floating around for years and is bogus. He stated Region 9 biologists traced the photographs to a couple in Pennsylvania and confirmed the pictures could have been taken at any location, including the west coast. He didn't rule out the possibility of mountain lions existing, but stated hard evidence is needed before the DEC confirms the animals' presence in the area.

"We seem to get credible reports from people, but no actual proof of tracks or real pictures," Biss said Thursday. "I'm not saying there isn't anything out there, but we need proof. It's a state-wide circumstance."

http://www.eveningtribune.com/articles/2005/03/11/news/news01.txt

turd_furgusson said:
I live in an area of NY State between the Catskills & Adirondacks & go for walks a few times each week along the Schoharie River or up the surrounding hills & I have MANY, MANY pics of deer, fox, BALD EAGLES, herrons, swans, Canada Geese as well as snow geese, over 1000 pics. The wild life here is plentiful.

I am new here & am having trouble posting pics. It only allows pics up to 100kb & all my pics are bigger than that. Any ideas how to post them here?

Your pictures have to be "Hosted" (held on-line) at a site like Sony Image Station. Once they are there, you can copy their Properties address and paste that here in a thread between
it looks like [url]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid161/peb2a85c54ee08da16b3/f4d43808.jpg[/url] [img]
I hope that helps.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid161/p89ef823022bc71212e64a8bfaf2c8165/f4d3edf8.jpg
f4d43808.jpg

U lost me. I am not all that computer savy so I don't know about "Hosting" sites & the link U put up is a dead 1. So I'm not real sure what I have 2 do. I have over a thousand pics on my 'puter. I actually use them as a screen saver slide show but I don't know how 2 get them on line. I go hunting at least 3 time per week, with a camera that is. Actually I have a couple of pairs of binoculars with digital cameras attached 2 them So I can get some pretty neat pics but I haven't figured out how 2 share them yet.

Turd, It's a bit of an effort, but if you want to share photos on line you have to start by having a server "Host" them. Go to http://www.imagestation.com/member/join.html , join (basic membership is free as they are trying to sell other services) and follow the links to Browse and Upload a photo. Their site will "browse" your photos and you then select one to upload to their hosting site. If you do that I can walk you through the rest.

Good, thanx. I just signed up but am very bz so I have 2 kinda squeeze things in between other things so I will work on uploading pics. I C they'll give me 10 free prints which is cool as everything I have is on CD. I don't have any extrodinary pics 'cept 4 a few good shots of a bald eagle. I have many MANY deer pics as well as the usual array of red fox, herrons, geese, ducks, squirels, chipmonks, butterflies, etc... I also have some video of bald eagles in flight & a group of deer headed by 2 bucks squaring me off & trying 2 scare me away. It almost worked but when I started waving my arms they turned & miandered into the corn.
Thanx 4 the link. It may take a few but I'll get them posted & then we'll work on posting them here.

Having a Buck square off against you IS a little scary.
When you are ready to post a picture here, view it full size there, get your cursor arrow on the pic, right click and select Properties. That brings uo the pics url address, copy that complete address and paste it here in a post between
. When you preview your post you should see your picture.

my wildlife experiences:

Lots of Moose, especially on the allagash river in n. maine.

many many large Black Bears on steroids on big moose lake in ADKs. Has anyone ever spent time in Big Moose Lake? They are as big as they come around that area.

there is one especially, that has 3 legs and is absolutely gargantious. it is also tagged with a DEC collar.

I have seen a black bear being tranquilized on the road by a ranger because apperently the bear was breaking into a shed near the big moose inn.

I have seen 2 bald eagles on the hudson river.

i have witnessed a buck with its whole leg caught in the ice on the still water resevoir also in the ADK park. it was uplifting to see him finally free himself after an hour and run into the woods with a slight limp.

Largest moose I've seen on a trail was on the ATLT about 5 miles north of the MA border. Otherwise I watched a Cow feeding in Daicey Pond BSP for a few minutes and had a moose walk by my campsite on the Piscatiquis River West Branch at 7PM and again at 7AM the next morning. (His normal commuting times) Otherwise moose are real plentiful from the Rangeley area over to Errol. But so far the only Bear I've seen in Maine was in the Wildlife Park in Gray.

Glad to see this thread revived. It's neat to read what others have seen.

Recently, while hiking we spotted a grouse in some scrub pines near the summit of West Bond. It was only a few feet away, and the best look I've had at one yet.

Saw a bear and two cubs in Baxter State Park last month, as well as some moose.

While driving home a few nights ago, I got a really good look at a marten on the side of the road, blinded by my car's headlights. Only about a mile away from my house.

A few weeks ago while on a morning run, a pack of coyotes began howling in the woods a few hundred yards away. That was awesome!

I feel fortunate to live where I do. Lot's of cool wildlife literally in my backyard, and I'm close to many great hiking spots that are close-by.

After 10 years of hiking with buddies, I had to do most of my hiking this summer solo because of an erratic work schedule. The payoff was that I ended up seeing more wildlife in one summer of solo hikes than I had seen in all my years previous. I saw my first bear (mother and cubs, up a tree, 200 yds from the Avalon Trailhead) and came face to face with a moose (on a Waterville slope, where the Tecumseh trails tangents it). I had never seen either before this year.

bob

dentonfabrics said:
After 10 years of hiking with buddies, I had to do most of my hiking this summer solo because of an erratic work schedule. The payoff was that I ended up seeing more wildlife in one summer of solo hikes than I had seen in all my years previous. I saw my first bear (mother and cubs, up a tree, 200 yds from the Avalon Trailhead) and came face to face with a moose (on a Waterville slope, where the Tecumseh trails tangents it). I had never seen either before this year.

bob

Oh yes, you will most definately be more likely to see the wildlife if you hike solo. That is why I hike solo. Wildlife sightings are an important part of hiking for me. There's always plenty of time to talk to people later! ;)

I remember your earlier account of the sow and cubs near Avalon trailhead. You'll always remember that moment. :)