Announcement: Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/13-16, Barnes Field, New Hampshire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brands of wood snowshoes

Here are a couple manufacturers for you to check out:

- Iverson, Upper Peninsula of MI, Make the wooden shoes sold by LL Bean.
- Northwoods, Canada, Make the wooden shoes sold by Safesport.

Shoes that are 5 feet long are good for flat, open space (Alaska or northern Canada). They are bad for wooded or mountainous areas. Stick with +/-36" shoes for anything in the northeast part of the US.

MadRiver said:
I have a similar dilemma. I have an old pair of wooden snowshoes that I retro-fitted with cleats and new binding. I used them last year breaking trail on the Nancy Pond Trail and loved them. However, they are 58” long and are not conducive to hiking steep trails so I am looking for a pair of cheap (inexpensive) snowshoes for when I hike something a little more challenging. Although Wal-Mart sells Yukon Charlie’s for $74.00, I don’t know if I should go that cheap. Therefore, I am looking at the L.L. Bean Pathfinders for when I need a smaller shoe to hike the steeper trails.

Stupid question; does anyone here ever carry two pairs of snowshoes. One for long flat trails and one for steep trails?

I'm planning on going and fighting the fierce cold with everyone (maybe from the inn). This will be outing number 2 for me, pretty soon i'll be a veteran!!

so...i'll be there, and i'll try to be extra careful not to have too much sausage!!!!

SHERPA! That "bombproof" tent somehow turned into an indoor swimming pool that weekend! I think the inn just may be a good idea...

A patch??? You think that I haven't already scored one? Remember, I'm the webmistress, which is even better than being webmaster...Maybe someday you can be webmistress!! ha ha...jk!

I have read the thread and please count me in.
I have not been winter camping since my teenage years. I therefor consider myself a newbie (and you can tell me to turn back as I have an aversion to death.) I will need to upgrade some equipement. I have a three season tent. Some xcountry skis older then some of the people I work with. and wool.

I will need to call in sick that monday with a chill...Do you think that would work? :D

Carmel said:
SHERPA! That "bombproof" tent somehow turned into an indoor swimming pool that weekend! I think the inn just may be a good idea...

A patch??? You think that I haven't already scored one? Remember, I'm the webmistress, which is even better than being webmaster...Maybe someday you can be webmistress!! ha ha...jk!
I SAID you earned veteran status on that trip. Between the swimming pool and sausage (I'm sure Dr aided) a lesser soul would have been whining. You were still smiling:) (and putting up with us)
BTW "Sherpa" and "Mistress" should never be said in the same sentence :eek:

harryk said:
I hereby offically nominate Sherpak as the next WEBMISTRESS!!!
of course that is only once the present webmistress steps down from
her posting!!!...can't wait Sherpa!!!!!!!

Are you implying i'm doing a bad job? come on, this is post #4!!! But, I have to agree that Sherpa would make an extremely desirable webmistress...but it would cause problems because everyone would be want to be webmaster then...

and thanks sherpa for the promotion of VFTT veteran, its an honor!!!!

Carmel said:
so...i'll be there, and i'll try to be extra careful not to have too much sausage!!!!

Not to mention that you will stay away from the Molson XXX this time...
:) :D

Boy you really did drink alot of XXX, you can't even remember :D However cold drink on a cold field doesn't sound terribly pleasing to me. But some Irish Coffee or Spiced Cider sure does.

If someone could supply a big coffee pot for that weekend, I'll supply the whiskey, and Bailey's.

Didn't ADK46r4487 use one of those turkey fryers with a propane tank to heat up a huge batch of spiced wine at last years ADK winter gathering? That wine tasted sooooo good........YUM...........

Just sent myself an E-mail to rummage around in the attic in search of the elusive big coffee pot. Getting ready . . . .

Did you folks really think I'd invite you into the cold without bringing along some spiced cider? I will have Apple Cider and Rum, same as last year (I went through 2.5 Gallons of Cider and 2 liters of rum in one night!). And it will be warmer outside - guaranteed. (Note: bring covered insulated cups!!!)

BTW, Hot Cocoa and Sambuca is also real good...

interested but need some help

Hi, I am interested in this, as this would be my first time going out in the winter would someone please put together a list of recommended things to bring/needed?

thanks
Paul

azhrei: just your standard winter camping gear. We'll be base/car camping, so will have many creature comforts not found on sled trips (warming tent/bonfire/tunes/grill). Figure a summer campout with gear suitable for standing still for long times in 0 degree temps. A real good pair of pacboots always comes in handy. An old parka that has already been touched by the spark fairies is a good idea. On top of that, all the gear you'll need for dayhiking in winter (crampons, face gear, snowshoes, etc.). $10 roll of quarters will be a nice touch for those Pinkham Notch showers. That pretty much sums it up.