Announcement: Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/13-16, Barnes Field, New Hampshire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's keep this post closer to the top.

Sherpa, what do you need, what can we volunteer to bring? Now that we are 2 months from the event, let's start the list of who is bringing what and what trips are planned. I need to climb something. I have all the presidentials, been there done that, what else is available? Since I am New Hampshire challenged, suggestions would help.

I'm planning on being there as I mentioned before. Should I bring a large base tent again?

I'm sure others are planning more strenuous climbs, but I'd like to tag either Cabot or Waumbek during this Gathering. Feel free to PM me if anyone's interested!

I have such a hard time planning this far in advance (I don't even know if I'm a Friday or Thursday arrival yet) but I was considering this: checking out the Carters or seing how about everyone will be skiing, using this gathering to take lessons so that next year I can slip, slide and fall all over the place.

Warren, Carters and Wildcats are on my to do for the weekend. Wildcat is an excellent place to learn to ski, and it's less than 10 miles away. Great Glens (4-5 miles) and Jackson Ski Touring (12-15 miles?) are major XC centers, and have great rental gear.

BTW, we'll be sure to wake you up this time (so sorry...)

Not sure how I'll get the weekend off - but its time I get to one of these events... But a 4K such as Waumbek, or a hundred highest is doable for me on this trip. If anyone is interested just send a PM!! :) :cool:

No worries, Sherpa. I was certainly out of sorts otherwise I wouldn't have slept so late and for the Gathering I will have this new piece of gear... a ... Alarm Clock (w/ lithium batteries!).

Thanks for the cross country info, that was on my "list" for the past year and never happened.

Ed: Sean and I were talking about that tent that you have. If you can take it up, it will certainly come in VERY handy (particular for cooking).

For hikes, other than the Presis:
1) the Carters, Moriah, Wildcats are right across the road (Rt 16) from Barnes Field with the primary trailheads for each within 6-7 miles at most. If one were to focus solely on the Carter/Moriahs and Wildcats, that would cover 6 of the NH48 (Moriah, Middle Carter, South Carter, Carter Dome, Wildcat "A", Wildcat "D"). There are also some early plans to ski up the Wildcats and over to the Wildcat Valley trail for the descent (alternately, some may choose to return via the Polecat ski trail back to the Wildcat parking lot).
2) Waumbek is also a great first winter 4K snowshoe. The section between Starr King and Waumbek is particularly sweet. That trailhead is about 20 miles away, but a very scenic drive.
3) Cabot is a bit tougher to get to, and one that I need (and plan to do sometime this winter). If the Carters and Wildcats don't kill me, I might be game for Cabot on Sunday (unless I still need another of the Carters).
4) Isolation is a great trail/bushwhack route. A long day, but with a good team, very doable. With this group, a very nice trip for 6 strong hikers

Cabin on Carter Mt

Some info for any of you that might want to overnight on the trail for a night (vrs at Barnes Field).

There is a small two room cabin with a wood burning stove and some(?) cooking supplies on top of Cabot. It sleeps 8, is free and is run on a first-come, first-served basis. Other than for sleeping, there is not much room and there is NO water!! Nice views south to the Randolphs.

SherpaKroto said:
Ed: Sean and I were talking about that tent that you have. If you can take it up, it will certainly come in VERY handy (particular for cooking).

For hikes, other than the Presis:
1) the Carters, Moriah, Wildcats are right across the road (Rt 16) from Barnes Field with the primary trailheads for each within 6-7 miles at most. If one were to focus solely on the Carter/Moriahs and Wildcats, that would cover 6 of the NH48 (Moriah, Middle Carter, South Carter, Carter Dome, Wildcat "A", Wildcat "D"). There are also some early plans to ski up the Wildcats and over to the Wildcat Valley trail for the descent (alternately, some may choose to return via the Polecat ski trail back to the Wildcat parking lot).
2) Waumbek is also a great first winter 4K snowshoe. The section between Starr King and Waumbek is particularly sweet. That trailhead is about 20 miles away, but a very scenic drive.
3) Cabot is a bit tougher to get to, and one that I need (and plan to do sometime this winter). If the Carters and Wildcats don't kill me, I might be game for Cabot on Sunday (unless I still need another of the Carters).
4) Isolation is a great trail/bushwhack route. A long day, but with a good team, very doable. With this group, a very nice trip for 6 strong hikers

Just one word of caution on the Cabot cabin. I've heard tell that the stove was removed a couple of years ago and that it won't necessarily be back there for the winter. Anyone got the latest word on that?

The stove was in the Cabot cabin as of last winter. It had a crack in the side and I believe I saw a posting on the AMC board that someone repaired it later in the winter. It does take a while to get up to anything near warm.

I'd by psyched to ski the Wildcat Valley Trail, too. Last time I was there, it wasn't in great shape, so I'm eager for some better skiing on it. The skin up from 19-mile was a lot of fun, although the skis went on the back eventually.

I was last at the Cabot cabin in June and the stove wasn't there, although my understanding is that it is often removed during the warm months.

spencer

Last edited:
SherpaKroto said:
Mark_151: Not sure, but Friday would be less crowded for climbing the Polecat. That would be my vote.

As that's the primary event I'm wanting to do, I've got to start planning the logistics. I don't know if I'll come up Thursday morning, so depending on the start of the Wildcat Valley trip, I'd either leave from work Thursday night, or very early Friday morning, in time for the start of the "ride".

Mark

schedule conflict

why oh why do all the good events happen at once?

It's great to hear another snowshoer who uses woodies. Seems that 101% of all marketing is directed toward aluminum/plastic. I've tried both; including one of each on different feet at the same time. Can't speak highly enough for either pair of my wood/neoprene shoes.

The above notwithstanding, I doubt I'll be able to get to the Winter Gathering however.

Keep shoing...

spider solo said:
I'll look forward to being there.
Hoping for some nice deep snow, so along with alpine stuff, I'll be bringing some nice wooden snowshoes and would be interested in getting together with any one for some on and off trail travel one of those days.
So if your woodies are forlorn and negelected it might be fun to dust them off and head for the hills for awhile.
A nice day for woolens, mukluks,and babiche would be fun in fine form.
Any ideas?

I get a kick out of the "one on each foot" I've been mighty tempted to give that a try myself.
Sometimes the cross country ski areas have "retro days"...it might be fun to do something similar for hiking or shoeing.
Last year I started to make notes as to what trails are more conducive to which kind of snowshoe... It's pretty subjective but I'd be interested if others do the same or have any recommendations of what gear for which trails.
....Maybe in the future a thread like that might turn up...

I have a similar dilemma. I have an old pair of wooden snowshoes that I retro-fitted with cleats and new binding. I used them last year breaking trail on the Nancy Pond Trail and loved them. However, they are 58” long and are not conducive to hiking steep trails so I am looking for a pair of cheap (inexpensive) snowshoes for when I hike something a little more challenging. Although Wal-Mart sells Yukon Charlie’s for $74.00, I don’t know if I should go that cheap. Therefore, I am looking at the L.L. Bean Pathfinders for when I need a smaller shoe to hike the steeper trails.

Stupid question; does anyone here ever carry two pairs of snowshoes. One for long flat trails and one for steep trails?