another nice day...another missed summit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
My first 18 4000 footers were pretty unevenful...drive to the trailhead, hike the mountain, go camping or go home. The last two have been problematic. First I dramatically underestimated my conditioning and the conditions on MOriah and turned back after a tough 4 1/2 hours of snowshoeing and then today on Waumbek.
Hit the trail at 7:30am and the conditions were very mixed...partly a walk in a spring like forest and partly a lot of hard ice. Crampons would have been nice (i did not have any) but they also would have been a pain as they would have been needed for 100 feet and then not needed for 100 feet.
So, after moving along fairly well for 1 1/2 hours and about 1000 feet of elevation I lost my footing on a big piece of ice and went flying. Somehow or another I twisted my ankle pretty bad in the tumble. I sat down and thought about continuing for about 10 minutes but realized it really hurt and going up for another hour probably was not the best idea.
Headed/slid down to the trailhead and the three hour ride home.
After an hour of elevation it hurt even more and I went for x-rays which happily did not show any real damage...
A week of rest and back to it...

Glad you made it down safely and didn't sustain any broken bones....Sounds like you will 'keep the faith' and continue on.......I think the 4 or 6 point crampons are handy for these types of conditions and light enough to carry for when the need arises....as Cantdog says, good thing you weren't up higher on a more challenging trail.........
Carry on...........Jade

hey man, it's like they say: getting to the top is optional, getting to the bottom is mandatory.

I had a lot of trouble with Waumbek too. I went on a Sunday, the day after I hiked Passaconway and Whiteface. It was around Memorial Day last year and wasn't as warm as I would have liked. Cramped up a lot. Probably took at least double book time.

Is your ankle situation going to affect your plans for a Presi traverse?

SteveHiker-
Yeah...it is always the easiest mountains that do us in. I guess I am glad I did not have trouble on Washington or Jefferson, those tend to provide major trouble!
I have it wrapped in an ace bandabe which is helping and most of the time I am waliing fine. When I wear high boots I seem to have enough support. I am not planning on having any major setbacks from this and if I can walk well on it next Friday and Saturday I plan to hike next Sunday (FIeld, Tom, Willey perhaps.) I would not imagine this would have any impact on the vaunted Presi traverse! I am thinking of doing it one weekend earlier...perhaps on Saturday the 11th of June...between Father's Days and a few birthdays I will likey become an outcast in my own family if I try to go away the weekend of the 18th...the sunlight difference between these two weekends is negligble.

Last edited:
Cramping.

I read a few people are having truoble with cramps whilke hikng. This is not uncommon with any physical activitiy . the biggest culpirrt is usually not drinking eoungh water . or if you are so inclined sport drinks. My fathe who is in good shpe for a man in his late 60s went dwon hill skiing i was over for dinner when tey got bakc he described having sever cramps . I found out he had not been taking in enough water. so he had build up of lactic acid and has painful cramps. The next time they went skiing my father drank more wate and sports drinks and did not have cramps.
If youi are thisty on the trail it is for a reason your body is saying "hey givewvme some fluids or iam going to be in rough shape . Try stoping every 15 mins to take in some fluid (non alcohlic save that for aafter your hike and drive . ) alos eating both high protien and carbohydrates and sugars or quick engeryt food so you so do not depleate either . .
I usualy drink at least 3 liters on a hike but that is me . out weat i have drank over a gallon and was still thristy espcially above 10,000 ft.

Hi Sap;

Sorry to here about your trials on Waumbek. You made a wise and healthy decision to turn around. The mountain is not going anywhere and will be waiting for you when you return.
I know what you mean about the changing trail conditions this past weekend. A couple of friends and I did an overnight at the Perch and onto Jefferson for a 8:30 AM summit Sunday morning. Not terribly cold but a bit windy. Brought crampons, snowshoes and ice axe and needed them all at various times during the hike. It is still very much winter conditions on the higher peaks. We were rewarded with unparallel views for our efforts on a cloudless and beautiful day. Hope you recuperate quickly.

Hey, who says Waumbek is the easiest NH4? Few that I know. Earlier this winter, Waumbek was your worst nightmare with the blue-white water ice filling the trail. Even Brutus the Newf was turned back on his first attempt. That ice from earlier in the winter is now beginning to emerge from the late winter snow, so until the sun softens that ice, beware. That said, with the Waumbek Trail's southern exposure, the ice should soften up and then disappear fairly soon. Best wishes on your recovery.

Thank you all for your kind words and support...I am kind of OK...sometimes it hurts, sometimes it does not. Of course the smart thing to do would be to stay home from work and rest, but life calls...
I hope to try walking on flat terrain Friday and Saturday...we'll see how that goes.

I'm glad you are feeling a little better. You did much better than me, I drove up on Sunday, a little late, but thought I would still make an attempt, but I could not find the trailhead!! Is it up Star King Road, where the hiker sign is? The book said to keep to the right, but that immediatly turned into Cottage Road. I ended up driving around and sightseeing from the car. :( Not what I really wanted to do on such a beautiful day.

chinooktrail -

yeah, it was a little confusing. I was heading east on 2 and I took a left at the hiker sign...the road is actually straight, or if anything, you bear left. By the way...very bumpy...thought I dropped half of my undercarriage on one of the bumps. You could see all of those houses on Cottage from the parking area.
You still did better...you are not limping!