Any Hike Suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

With a recent change of events at work, I now have Tuesday's off. I havent been up North in a few weeks and I am itching to hike, given the weather forecast for tomorrow.

That said, I'm open for suggestions wrt a nice hike. I'll be leaving Mass at the crack of dawn and driving up 93N. I'm not interested in Franconia Notch, but would like to maybe go a little east. It will just be myself, so a loop or there-and-back are necessary. Anything under an 9 hour book time is fine, and elevation gains are not a major concern.

How are the leaves now? Where can I best appreciate them? I wouldn't mind smelling some 5K plus clean and crisp air ;)

What do you guys think???? Where should I go???

Thanks,

Bryan

The leaves in Franconia Notch are starting to turn here and there, but the full effect foliage is still a week or so away. I was up in the Pilots and Nash Stream last week and it was a similar situation up there.

On the fly, I'd recommend the Baldface loop in Evans Notch - should be some colors here and there and plenty of time above treeline to enjoy the sunshine!

Have fun wherever you end up going! :)

If I were in your shoes, I would go for either an Eisenhower/Monroe Loop (some road walking involved) or a little harder Monroe/Washington Loop, or an even harder Monroe/Washington/Jefferson Loop (some road walking). All are doable under 9 hours this time of year (for most people) and all are accessable from the Rt 93 side.

If you are willing to drive a little more, a Great Gulf trail to Madison Gulf to Madison, down via Osgood Trail is also sweet with lots of exposure.

BTW, spent the past weekend in Baxter State Park and the foliage was only beginning to change. Peak should be in the Whites in about 2 weeks...

If you do something that includes a trip near wet areas (marshes, ponds, etc.), you'll likely get some great colors. The marshes near Route 25 in Moultonboro, for example, are an absolutely stunning red right now.