Any Recent Break-in's at Appalachia?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or heard anything about any car break-in’s at Appalachia lately? It really is a shame to have to factor this into where you decide to hike… Thanks guys

I don't know ...last year I started leaving my car at Lowes Store, figured the car was safer there.

Another vote for Lowe's, if you can use Lowe's Path instead of starting from Appalacahia. Great folks and the dollar for parking is well worth the peace of mind.
Dave

agree

I tend to use Lowes as well, it just tends to make the approach for a Northern Prezzie Traverse alittle longer. It also helps that the Cheif of the Police lives above the garage (according to the woman working the store) that tends to keep the vandals and theives away.

This doesn't answer your question, but in my experience the rate of break-ins at Appalachia is less than at other trailheads. I think this is due to its close proximity to a major highway, and the state police routinely cruise thru the lot.

Are Breakin more likely for overnight or daytrip?

Besides a trailhead being off main road and out of plain sight, it would seem to me odds of being victimized would be greater for overnight trips at any trailhead. Anyone got any experience with breakins happening mostly to overnighters? :confused:

Police or forest service might have opinions on that as they keep crime data. When I was in Park Service back in the 70's, we used to fill out incident reports. Maybe now they got computer resources they can actually analyze the data. That's why it's helpful to report this stuff. Helps them identify high crime areas and develop solutions.