Any Snow in the Whites Yet?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesop74

Reaction score
My guess is that it won't be long now. Has anyone seen any of the white stuff recently? I'm taking vacation in Jefferson / Gorham, NH October 1st - 5th and I'm trying to plan for the weather conditons (yeah right) in the WHite Mts. especially the Northern Presidentials.

I believe Washington had a little bit of snowfall recently.....but it did not last long. The Whites are still clear right now. In fact, its been a lot of liquid stuff falling, rather than frozen. But hey, the Farmers Almanac is calling for lots of cold weather and vast amounts of snow :D :D :D .

Brian

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow......me doing the Indian rain dance in ski boots w/uphillklimber pounding on the drums in hopes that we have a very snowy winter.... :D :D :D :)

The Mount Washington Obs has reported a "trace" of snow so far this month. Other than some frosty morning, nothing white yet in them there mountains just yet.

But soon! :)

Next week we have a very strong cold front and then an upper level system passing through. I think the higher whites may get a few inches of snow. Especially Mount Washington. Get ready! wed-sunday Mattl

Last edited:
Next week should be interesting with a strong cold front heading our way. Maybe the Whites will get some snow then, or at least a little rime. :D Its a cheerful thought, I know.

grouseking

Grouseking and Matt are right on with next week's cold front...big changes coming next week. And I agree, snow is a good possibility on the presis!

However, looks like some real heat until then.

Agreed this front coming through mid-week has some possibilities.Tuesday night Wednesday

Current coditions atop Mt Washington

Thursday, September 21, 2006
5:58 AM
Conditions at 5:58 AM
Weather: Freezing fog and light snow sh

Temperature: 25°F

Wind: NW 45 mph

Visibility: 100 feet

Relative Humidity: 100%

Station Pressue: 23.55 and rising

Ground Conditions: ICY! :D

Should be some nice photo ops today

Awesome!!!

I just checked the Mount Washington website where I read that there was some snow and that there are 6" ice feathers and plenty of rime ice as well. I'm so freakin excited. I come up there on October 1st.

This morning with wind chills it was 1.8 Deg. F. with 55 mph winds. Woo Hoo!!! :D

Phooey. :( All those layers... all those frozen digits :eek: ... all that pack weight... Big YUCK. :mad: Give me warm sunlight, a fanny pack, running shoes, shorts, and a sport bra over snow & cold any day! :) :cool:

PS: Hi Cruddy!

Tuco said:
Stinkyfeet, I am with you- with the exception of the sport bra of course :D

Eric - you can wear a sports bra if you want to!

I believe last year we had the northern presi blizzard around October 25 - and that was pretty much the worst storm of the year...

I like the winter, but prefer a lighter pack...

Snow

Agreed with the lighter pack comment. Our trip is up Jefferson, Adams and Madison all of which should have snow on them by 10/1 by the sound of things.

Question: Would you go with Yak Trax and poles or would you also throw in the crampons just in case? Something tells me that the snow may not be the issue but that ice might come into play now.