Anybody ever use a Nordictrack incline trainer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John H Swanson

Reaction score
instead of a treadmill?

And what are your experiences?

Any heel or achilies tendon stress problems with repetitive use?

Thinking about getting one because I don't like stair climbers.

Thanks

I have one. It works. The motion is somewhat different than than of XC skiing, but it is not hard to get used to. I never had any injury problems from using it. Zero impact.

You do get hot using it: use a fan to help cool you down. I think that some put a TV in front to make it more "interesting".

Doug

edit. Sorry my comments below are about a Nordic Track ski machine which can be put into a slight incline position. I will leave them just in case anyone else is interested in that as an alternative.... :eek:

Another satisfied user for well over 10 years (so mine is a fairly old model). It does provide a good workout and prep for actual XC skiing, despite the somewhat different motion. I have never had any repetitive stress problems. I cycle train trough several different trainers (stair climber, rowing, and light weights in addition to the Nordic).

Last edited:
Thanks,

I wasn't lookig to use it like with skiing motion but rather simply walking up hill.
Does this make sense? Or does the walking motion become difficult when the incline approaches 30%?

Don't think I'm a doffus. I'm headed over to sears to try one for the first time tonight.

I've been using one for 10 years without any injuries and think the incline really helps with my uphills. I sometimes do it with a pack on (25 pounds +/- total weight). As others have stated, it can get really tedious and bringing in a TV helps. You can also rig up something/buy something so that you can read while exercising. I have done this and had great success.

Regards,
Marty

John H Swanson said:
I wasn't lookig to use it like with skiing motion but rather simply walking up hill.
Does this make sense? Or does the walking motion become difficult when the incline approaches 30%?
I think it is much better suited to a skiing motion.

I'm headed over to sears to try one for the first time tonight.
Testing is a good idea. I tried a friend's before I bought too.

Suggestion: IMO, beginners on a Nordic Track can have balance problems (end up leaning too far forward) if they use both the hand and leg portions (easily resolved with a bit of practice). I suggest that you also try it with the bumper pad up against your hips (its normal position) and your hands on the pad--you still do the correct leg motion. This might make it easier for you to check out the leg motion.

Doug

My wife used one extensively for 2 or 3 years and I'd occasionally try it, but just can't do machines unless I'm in some kind of formal rehab program. In any case - if you're interested in exercise to increase uphill walking/hiking, then I think you'd better served by treadmill. As Doug points out, a Nordic Trak isn't quite the same as x-country skiing, but it's alot closer to skiing than it is uphill walking, at least for me.

And, I doubt many would mistake you for a doofus.

Hampshire said:
Please note that John is asking about a "NordicTrack Incline Trainer"
Oops #2. My comments apply to the standard Nordic Track ski machine.

Wasn't even aware of the Incline Trainer...

But now that I am, don't forget to train the muscles for down hill too. Most exercisers concentrate on the energy producing (concentric) contractions. You also need to train the energy absorbing (eccentric) contrations. The first gets you up the hill, the second gets you back down.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Oops #2. My comments apply to the standard Nordic Track ski machine.

Wasn't even aware of the Incline Trainer...

But now that I am, don't forget to train the muscles for down hill too. Most exercisers concentrate on the energy producing (concentric) contractions. You also need to train the energy absorbing (eccentric) contrations. The first gets you up the hill, the second gets you back down.

Doug

I completely overlooked that one. Of course the exercise will be beneficial, but I foresee the quads hurting when I go back to the real hills.

John H Swanson said:
I completely overlooked that one. Of course the exercise will be beneficial, but I foresee the quads hurting when I go back to the real hills.
I have developed overtraining in my quads several times because of inadequate downhill fitness. Fellt ok while hiking, but the problem showed up a day or two later. The quads were so weakened that I had to be very careful going down stairs and stepping off curbs for a month or so...

Much worse than just pain or soreness.

My mistake was in assuming that fitness from biking was adequate for hiking.

Doug

Nordic Track Incline Trainer X5

I have been using a Nordic Track Incline Trainer X5 model since September 2005. I bought it to replace my Nordic Track skier which I had for ~15 years. The big difference between incline trainers and regular treadmills is the incline range. I routinely use mine on inclines of 20-30%. As "training" for hiking I find it works better for me than the skier did. While I did routinely use the skier for aerobic exercise I started to develop tendonitis in my hamstrings if I had the skier incline set steep. This hasn't happened with the Incline Trainer.

What's nice is that I can alternate between speedier flatter workouts and climbing intense workouts. Also there are some programmed workouts that give you the simulation of varied terrain. As a "hiker" who doesn't get out often enough I can climb 3500 feet of elevation at home while looking at my Presidential map on the wall - yeah, its like begin there (not).

One other note, my wife who is 5' tall found the ski machine a real pain to adjust to her height, especially after I (6'3") had used it. She can use the Incline Trainer without any problems.

Anyway, while overall I am positive about there are 3 negatives:
1) As mentioned it does not prepare you for downhill (obviously)
2) The footprint is quite large compared to the old skier
3) Mine has a somewhat annoying rattle when trotting on it that I need to get checked out.

Chipc

And, I doubt many would mistake you for a doofus

I have to admit that I once did mistake him for a doofus. It was because of what he was wearing...the ripped and patched nylon pants and the old raggedy tee shirt with food stains. There was also this beat-up baseball cap on his big engineer type head. From across the gravel pit, he resembled the penultimate doofus.

Well, I *AM* a doofus. (Hi John! Hi Ed!) :D

That said, I do know a little bit about treadmills. Definitely go for quality and don't get a cheap one. Mine is a "Vision Fitness" model and goes up to 10 mph (not that I ever run that fast), and the incline goes waaaaay steep--there are 20 different incline settings. It retailed for about $2000 but I got it on sale for around $1400 a couple of years ago. It's a quality treadmill but doesn't have a lot of bells & whistles. I use it only when it's really, really cold and/or windy outside. Kind of nice to run in shorts when it's below zero outside! :cool:

My other piece of advice: make sure you have a TV in front of you... although admittedly it's often a challenge to find something worth watching! :mad:

John H Swanson said:
instead of a treadmill?

And what are your experiences?

Any heel or achilies tendon stress problems with repetitive use?

Thinking about getting one because I don't like stair climbers.

Thanks

They have a couple of those at the gym I belong to. I use them pretty much on a regular basis. I find them to be the best machine for a cardio workout. It takes a little coordination but after a few times you'll get it down and be on your way to a great cardio workout.

Thanks for all the info.

I checked out the incline trainer, but opt'ed not to get it because it would be really tight in my basement. 7'3" is what I've got and that would mean that I'd risk knocking my head on the floor joists if I cranked it up. :eek: So I opted for a regualr treadmill. I've got the motor end shimmed up 2.5 inches as insurance against the hurricane high tides and that gives me about 2.558 more degrees on incline. :D I have a feeling Nordictrack might have something to say about my warranty. Got the Tivo and box fan in front of it and the stair work well as a beverage holder. Besides all that it looks like it will work good as a dry rack in about 3 months :rolleyes:

Last edited: