Anybody used these waders?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UNFROZENCAVEMAN

Reaction score
I came across these light weight waders while researching a sleep system for winter backpacking - anybody used them before?

http://www.wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=5

They look pretty cool, light, not expensive, and for late fall/early spring crossings might make a lot of sense - they look like they could save a lot of time, and at 8.9 oz. are as light as carrying sandles but would save you from having to "de-boot" and "re-boot" which would be a definite plus.

Looking for feedback before purchasing that's all....

Steve

Damn, those look really cool. Not for hiking, for fishing. Might be good for hiking too though. But I want em for fishing those hike in spots! In fact I'm gonna buy my dad a set for X-mas. He tends to do a lot of hike in fly-fishing. Thanks for the idea! :D

I didn't know lightweight waders like these existed, but we were talking about exactly this on a high-water trip to Owl's Head a few weeks ago. At just about a half pound they wouldn't be much to carry and would probably be used only in the spring and fall so they should last a while. Most likely not much of a sole if any though, but still a good idea.
Dave

I don't know about the waders, but Wiggy's does seem to make interesting stuff.

HOWEVER, as I noticed you said you were looking at their sleep systems, my parents gave me a Wiggy's Superlight 0 bag about 5 years ago for Christmas. I hated it. The weight was decent and the physical construction was bomb proof. The design/cut of the thing was awful, especially around the head/shoulders area. There was no draft collar (on a 0 bag!?) and the hood was waaay too big. I lost so much heat out of the top of that thing I couldn't use it below about 20 or I'd freeze. Additionally, it was way too warm to use during any part of the summer, giving it a range of about 30 degrees where I could actually sleep in it.

Hopefully they have since changed their designs, but I'd look into before throwing down the cash. If they have changed stuff, then it is probably worth the price.

Wow I haven't checked their site in a long time. They have really expanded their line of bags and other stuff. I bet they are great.

I had the opportunity to test their bags and gloves back in 90's in the Marines. I was attached to a cold weather mountain unit for a few years, and they issued us Ultimate Thule’s, gloves and wanted feedback. After the great response from the Marines, they were standard issue for a while. Great company but the Lamilite is a bit heavy. Bomber though.......... Sold mine on Ebay.

Danner boots did the same thing. Great boots. I miss them. :(

This guy's gotta be the brother-in-law ... (for more of the same, look under Wiggy's clothing)

fishnet.gif