anyone ever ACTUALLY use a magnesium fire starter ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a couple hours today to go through my gear and decided to re-review my emergency essentials kit. I've had a mag fire starter for YEARS and never even tried to use it...sooooo...in the comfort of my own home (hearth) and with a variety of knives (small Sw. Army to Rambo) I've been trying to shave magnesium large enough to light. All I'm getting is tiny tiny flakes. The magnesium block is way harder than I thought it would be. I can't imagine I'd get a fire started in the cold, damp and wind.

Is it possible there is softer magnesium or do I just need to work on the knife technique ?

I used mine once. Right after I bought and right before I returned it.

I bought quality water-proof, strike anywhere, matches instead.

Fish

I used mine once. Right after I bought and right before I returned it.

I bought quality water-proof, strike anywhere, matches instead.

Fish

:D

I think Marchowes had the right idea...

NewHampshire said:
You could always take the magnsium firestarter and throw it in the fire....Marc Howes says it makes for a wonerful light show

I do like the bow stick thing though. If you were really into it you could probably match up some components that could be used as a snare or fishing gear and then converted into the bow to start the fire. :D

Last edited:
I just spent a few hours this morning playing with my magnesium firestarter in the comfort of my own home. First do not try to use a regular jackknife blade. I used the end of a single edge razor blade.

Do NOT use the sharp razor edge to create the shavings. It is dangerous to have that edge aimed at your hand holding the block, and it dulls very quickly and stops creating shavings. A LOT MORE tinder and kindling is needed than I have in my photo to keep the fire going. Add some to the top of the shavings and then make some more Mg shavings on top of the tinder.

Once you have a decent pile of Mg shavings aim the spark insert at the pile. To create the sparks use the side of the blade again (not the razer edge.) As you flick it down the spark insert at the shavings the blade acts as a spring to flick the sparks at the Mg shavings.

I got it to work! Both with the jackknife and the razor but the razor is much easier. I never use a jackknife anyway and razor blades are lighter.

Last edited:
I have used mag bars in the past and have found over time the magnesium corrodes and becomes very difficult, if not impossible to light. My emergency kit consists of just a firesteel and either cotton with Vaseline or fatwood or both.

I have used a fire drill more than once. I know people that are well practiced with it but using it isn't nearly as tough as making one. My basic belief is to usually carry several bic lighters, the small ones scattered throughout all my gear with the fire steel and other as backup or in my light go kit.

400 years ago they would have burned you as a witch if you had a bic lighter. I really can't tell you how highly I think of those little technical marvels. :D

Keith

I never found a need to use the magnessium side of the fire starter. I could never bring my self to dull a knife in this manner. I prefer to do without the magnessium and keep a sharp knife.

On the other side, I've used the fire starter hundreds of times. As mentioned, juke works well and cotton balls even better. It is not really hard with dry tinder. In fact, with practice, it's probable more reliable than matches.

As mentioned the efficiency of a simple lighter is awesome and for me preferred, however it is subject to failure and requires backup.

I got to try a magnesium firestarter at a campout. It worked fine but was tough on the knife so I didn't get one. You still need a supply of very small tinder as the flare up is short.

I now have a flint and steel that I keep with my white gas stove. It works when wet.

For fires I use the flint & steel with dryer lint. :cool:

I've done the cotton ball, wax & wax paper thing and birch bark. They work very well. I just like to try different stuff. I've started fires with pine pitch and showed the scouts how to use Doretos, that was a sacrfice.

Anyone got an idea for a natural easy to find tinder to catch a spark with?

I'm thinking cattails but haven't tried it yet.

Anyone got an idea for a natural easy to find tinder to catch a spark with?

I'm thinking cattails but haven't tried it yet.

Cattail fluff works and catches a spark pretty easy. Problem I have had with it is that it doesn't seem to burn very hot or for very long. I think you would need a pretty good pile (like a handful) of it to actually start some tinder though I think it could be done. Not that if the fluff was around that you wouldn't be able to get that much.

Birch bark works really well if you can get it to catch a spark. Cedar shavings also work when rubbed to make almost a fine dust-like material and they catch a spark pretty well.

Keith

Besides the kid who is being fined $25K, did anyone ever try hand sanitizer ?

You know, I haven't, though I have been meaning to.

One thing about that is it is an alcohol flame which is usually invisible. With the extra things mixed in it might be able to be seen but you need to be careful with an alcohol flame.

I may try this tonight. I carry a small bottle of it in my first aid kit and have been meaning to try igniting this with the Firesteel. If I don't get tied up with other stuff I'll let you know how I made out.

Thanks for the reminder,
Keith

Any port in a storm, but alcohol and water burns with a very cool flame. I have some firestarter jelly that smells like alcohol is it's major ingredient. The directions state that it is for starting most any fire, but has a picture of a home fireplace hearth on it. It doesn't work very well. You still need lots of small kindling.

On a campout the boys try to burn everything. Hand sanitizer is no exception. It works but burns cooler than most. It will burn fairly long but you still need lots of tinder to get a hoter flame.

Go ahead and try it. It's fun :D and you never know it might save your life someday.

I was pretty easily able to start the alcohol with the Firesteel. The flame was visible and hot enough to start lighting other tinder.

Also, a large amount of cattail duff does burn fairly well with enough and it does take a spark pretty readily like I mentioned before.

Keith

I was pretty easily able to start the alcohol with the Firesteel. The flame was visible and hot enough to start lighting other tinder.

Also, a large amount of cattail duff does burn fairly well with enough and it does take a spark pretty readily like I mentioned before.

Keith

Cool

Since I'm looking for stuff I can find outdoors I'll give the cattails a try.

I'm also thinking of shreading or grinding between two rocks birch bark so it takes a spark better. Birtch bark burns well and for a good time even when wet.

Maybe I'll mix a little pine pitch in and try that some time as well.

Since you're a SAR guy I'd like to tell you what a retired range told a bunch of us adult leaders during our winter camping training. He said, If we could teach our Scouts anything that they should know very well if they ever find themselves in a survival situation was to teach them how to make a fire under any conditions.

My complements to the adult leaders of that Eagle Scout that has to pay that $25,000 off.

If hadn't been able to start a fire with hand santizer ........who knows?

I'm also thinking of shreading or grinding between two rocks birch bark so it takes a spark better. Birtch bark burns well and for a good time even when wet.
You might find some of the info on firestarting in "Two Little Savages" by Ernest Thompson Seton (1917) to be of interest. (The book is the semi-autobiographical story of two boys learning woodcraft.)

From http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13499/13499-h/13499-h.htm pg 124 (or search on "prayer-sticks"):
Sam remarked:

"Pears to me you don't know much about lightin' a fire. Lemme show you. Let the White hunter learn the Injun somethin' about the woods," said he with a leer.

Sam took the axe and cut some sticks of a dry Pine root. Then with his knife he cut long curling shavings, which he left sticking in a fuzz at the end of each stick.

"Oh, I've seen a picture of an Indian making them. They call them 'prayer-sticks,'" said Yan.

"Well, prayer-sticks is mighty good kindlin'" replied the other. He struck a match, and in a minute he had a blazing fire in the middle of the wigwam.

"Old Granny de Neuville, she's a witch—she knows all about the woods, and cracked Jimmy turns everything into poetry what she says. He says she says when you want to make a fire in the woods you take—

"First a curl of Birch bark as dry as it kin be,
Then some twigs of soft-wood, dead, but on the tree,
Last o' all some Pine knots to make the kittle foam,
An' thar's a fire to make you think you're settin' right at home."
There are also instructions on how to start a fire using a bow-drill. pg 169--176 (search on "rubbing-sticks".

Note 1: The copyright allows the above quote.

Note 2: Seton (1860-1946) was an early naturalist who wrote a number of books on outdoor themes. They may be of interest to some: http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/s#a535. He was one of the founding pioneers of the Boy Scouts of America. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Thompson_Seton

Doug

Last edited:
Cool

?

Grinding up birch bark works good. The other thing that has been glossed over, it seems is cedar shavings. They also work great and are generally easy to pulverize into almost a dust that takes a spark well.

Also Fatwood is great. Finding it in the wild can be a little bit of a job but buying it is easy enough. If you find some you will have plenty to last you a long time and it is great to carry and with some work can usually be made to light with a firesteel and its waterproof. Really cool natural material.

Keith

Sam took the axe and cut some sticks of a dry Pine root.

What Sam has here is likely Fatwood. The resin soaked root of a dead pine tree. Has a distinct smell, like shellac. When the tree dies, the roots don't know it and they keep sending sap up the tree, usually to congregate at the area near where it snapped off. Creating an abundance of pine sap which burn for a long time and very well and is also waterproof. If you come across it, you will notice the distinct smell and stickiness as well as its shiny appearance.

Excellent fire starter. I alway carry some in my kit.

Keith

I'll look for some. Does it catch a spark well or do you powder it first?

I'll have to learn how to ID cedar, birch bark is easy for me.

If you can't find your own you can buy it.

Fatwood online

Cedar is pretty easy to identify, just like anything, when you get use to seeing it. Finding it in our area N.E. doesn't seem to be too easy though.

Fatwood has to be cut very tiny and even then it can take some work to get it to take a spark directly. If you can start something else first and then feed some Fatwood in, that works great.

Keith