Anyone seen this at Chimney Pond BSP??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadie

Reaction score
My brother pointed out this feature in the rock face of the cliffs of Pamola/ South Peak of Katahdin as viewed from Chimney pond when hiking there this past week. If looking at the pond from the beach, it is on the left side in the cliffs. It is a round feature that appears to have a "B" shape in it. It just stood out because it is so perfectly round among the cliffs.

We were joking it was B for Baxter and Gov. Baxter carved his initials in the rock. Well, given the mission of the park set by Baxter and location of this feature, this idea is absolutely ridiculous--but fun for joking at the time. I am wondering has anyone else noticed this feature? Is there a geologic explanation?

I can't seem to figure out how to directly insert pictures, so I put the 2 pictures as attachments. One is picture as seen from the lake (and feature circled) and the other is zooming in further on the feature.

It just looks like a spot where the rock had a cleavage point that was eroded and recently gave way. The shape doesn't look so "odd" when viewed closer up in the zoom.

I think that the B is partially illusory, but the vertical face is parallel with a major vertical joint set that is seen throughout the Katahdin granite pluton, and the roof is similar to an exfoliation overlap, such as seen in much larger forms at the north end of Cannon Cliff in Franconia Notch. In my opinion, it is this strong vertical jointing that makes the cirque headwalls so steep on Katahdin, as much glacial geologic evidence suggests that the last glacial ice on Katahdin was an overriding continental ice sheet and not cirque glaciers (i.e., the cirques were carved by alpine glaciers before the Katahdin massif was overridden by continental ice, same as in the Whites).

Faces

Sadie : I can't see the B but with a little imagination at 2oclock I can see the Old Man looking to his right.
Also straight up a shape that could be taken for a ghost. Or am i just seeing things. Great fun.;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses! I guess definitely an overactive imagination after a long day hiking :) The circular shape was what really got us on it!