Appalacia & Galehead Trailheads Safety

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvios lincoln

Reaction score
How safe is the parking lot on Rt 2, that feeds Madison hut. I was planning to leave a car there on a Tuesday and Wednesday night in July. Is auto vandalism common at this trailhead?

What about the Galehead Hut trailhead?

Thanks

EL

I've parked at Appalachia dozens of times in the past 25 years without any problems. That's no guarentee that you won't have a problem in the future.

-dave-

Appalachia is usually one of the safer lots in the whites due to its visibility. State troopers usually make a swing through it on their way by. About the only time there is a problem, its tied in with a string of breakins at multiple trailheads. Galehead is less safe as it is not visible from a major road.

Roadside trailheads not so safe

I actually surprised some guys breaking into cars at the 19 Mile Brook trail head, though, alas, I did not realize it until they were gone. There were two guys in a van, they had pulled off the road, stopping parallel to the road blocking the view from the road, and the guy in the passenger seat had jumped out, opened the van door, smashed a window in a car, and would presumably have tossed everything in the car into the van, had I not entered the parking lot at that point. I was so focused on getting to the car and getting my plastic boots off, (this was in March) that I did not notice anything was wrong until I saw the broken glass five minutes later.

I would say that the parking lots on the main roads are the MOST likely to be risky - breaking into a car there is a 15 second operation. I filed a police report, and that seemed to be their opinion as well.

Appalachia break-in

Appalachia may be open and monitored by the cops, but it's not immune to trouble. My car was broken into there several years ago (a companion's car was hit as well). We'd been up at Crag Camp for several nights and returned to find the smashed windows. It was in late March so I had all of my winter gear, which came in handy for the drive back to Massachusetts with an open window.

If you are looking for a somewhat more secure place to park "Near" Appalachia you may want to consider parking at Lowe's store a few miles West on Rt. 2. There is a nominal fee to park there but many more folks around working the store at least during the daytime. Because of it's location near more homes and general human activity there is more of a deterent for breakins. No Matter where you park donot leave any vauluables in the car and dont try to hide anything. I know of people who leave there glove box wide open and even leave the car unlocked!

day trips - 99,9% chance you won't have a problem - overnights - probably 98% chance you won't have a problem - but if your like me and your biggest fear in the whites is coming back to a f'ed up car - park at lowes for overnights. Its about a mile or so from applachia. noboby will mess with anything there.

but probably overkill and you shouldn't have problems.

Unlocked ect.

I have never had a problem anywhere in the whites, but man I feel nervous everytime I go on a overnight trip tha I'll come back to a broken mess of glass. There is nothing really worth stealing, but they don't know that!