Atwood Pond from Smart's Brook Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I wanted a short walk (60-90 minutes) in the woods, so I drove to the Smart's Brook trailhead planning to do the classic loop over the XC ski trails: Tritown -> Yellow Jacket -> Pine Flats. But:
The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,

When I was about ¼ mile from the upper end on the Tritown Trail I noticed a well worn path heading south. No need for much thought ... when I see something new and interesting I explore it!

The path was narrow but surprisingly well beaten, with definite evidence of prior trail work. It went to the south, and my initial assumption was that it led to Sandwich Notch Road. That interested me very much ... would it help doing a loop up the Algonquin Trail and down Smart's Brook Trail with only one car?

I noticed a few paths branching off in various directions, but always chose to go south. I met one moutain biker, who told me that indeed the trail led to the road, and that there were many trails in the area, mainly used by the mountain biking community. He did not mention Atwood Pond, though he did speak of wet areas.

My GPSr showed clearly that I was heading to the pond, and I spent some time exploring its northern shore, where there is an elevated rock with an excellent view of the pond. No photos ... I had planned a trip to my (outdoors) gym. (The GPSr is always with me to measure distances and elevation gains.)

I was late, the trail to the road was not obvious, and in any case I was far more interested in having found the pond from the north than in finding the road, so that will have to wait for another exploration.

The trail is a bit over a mile from the Tritown Trail to the pond, with a couple of hundred feet of elevation each way.

Since the real fun was the exploration I will not share the GPS track!

I've also been to Atwood Pond x-c skiing so thanks for the reminder to visit it in summer. I'm waiting for the day where the WMNF will cut a connector trail from Smarts Brook Trail to the Algonquin Trail that will open up a new and more scenic loop to Sandwich Mountain. It would make the Algonquin a viable and fun option to get to Sandwich Mountain in winter!

I've also been to Atwood Pond x-c skiing so thanks for the reminder to visit it in summer. I'm waiting for the day where the WMNF will cut a connector trail from Smarts Brook Trail to the Algonquin Trail that will open up a new and more scenic loop to Sandwich Mountain. It would make the Algonquin a viable and fun option to get to Sandwich Mountain in winter!
For a summer loop, there is a jeep road to Black Mtn Pond which is easy to find on the way up as you just stay on the road the Algonquin Trail turns off

Wonalancet Outdoor Club Trail map Guide to Sandwich Range shows a Atwood Ski Trail is a loop off Tri-Town Trail. This is not boot-leg trail. It follows the Notch Road part of the way. Rolling Rock is quite right about the need for trail connecting to Algonquin Trail from neighborhood of Atwood Pond. I've whacked around this area a lot and suspect a very nice route could be found to through hardwood forest with mellow grades make a very nice connector to Algonquin.