aurora last nite

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cat woke me up from a deep slumber....she jumped to the window, looked up at the sky and began to do a wierd meow.....Sluggish as I was, I knew there had to be something out there--what a treat!!! It was about 3:30 but I certainly didn't mind being woken for that...........

Here in Canton (at St. Lawrence U) word spread around 11pm that they were starting - by 1120 it was in full swing with reds, greens, yellows, and whites. somply awsome - I've never seen it before. anyone get any pictures?

Oysterhead

Dang! Sounds like from what I read this morning on Astronomy newsgroups, etc., that I missed a good one! It was cloudy for me last night! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

There is a newsgroup where I saw a few aurora pics. It is used by amateur astro-photographers. Some of the work is quite good. There were several great shots of the eclipse last week.

click here ==> news:alt.binaries.pictures.astro (Your computer must be configured to read newsgroups)

I saw it last night while driving back from the Daks. The light was amazing, it would just start dancing right before my eyes as I was driving. Kinda scary too since a deer came running across the road right in front of me while the light show was on.

-Shayne

I can't read newsgroups... :( ...anyone find any other pics?

My envrio teacher said that tonight is supposed to be awsome too, but with all this snow (YAH ITS SNOWING IN CANTON!!!!) I don't know if I'll see them again...

Oysterhead

Last edited:
northern lites

i haven't seen them since moving here from the upper penninsula of michigan. i remember as a kid, especially seeing them quite often and sometimes you'd even get them with color. they are so beautiful and magical. maybe that's why i had such weird dreams last night.
and speaking of how they affected your cats; have you ever noticed when there's a full moon how they get more rambuncious? and i can never get a good nights sleep when there's a full moon. seriously, i'll have all this energy and can't sleep. if i don't know there's a full moon & this happens; the next day i'll check and sure enough there was one so i know it's not my imagination. :eek:

It was going on from about 11pm to aprrox 1pm in Vermont. Beautiful I spent an hour of it just lying in my sleeping bag on the grass watching and chatting with my neighbors. The rest of that time I spent pacing back and forth craning my neck trying to get a better glimpse of the horizon. The lights spread from the horizon to the zenith with large amorphous patterns of mostly white rays and curtains of shimmering light at the zenith and standing curtains of colors at the horizon. Once overhead I saw the clear shape of a phoenix (or maybe the Batsignal) and my neighbors saw it immediately when I mentioned it. I also saw a huge face with a magnificent white beard looking down on me!?! To top it all off I saw 4 or 5 shooting stars while I was watching the aurora. Icing on the cake :)

Northern Lights Alerts

There is a great site for aurora predictions (as well as asteroid near miss reporting), www.spaceweather.com. They always have the hottest in recent pics, a nice archive, and probabilities on the X-Class and M-Class flares that are headed our way. And great sunspot pictures. I could go on.

Now if only the Boston area weren't so bright!!

phenominal lights last night...

I slept at a camp on a Lake last night. I was there to hunt the next day. It was so bright at around 9 that I half thought of thinking of going for a Moonlight hike. I realized soon that it wasnt moonlight through clouds and that it was the AB.

It was phenomenal with shimmiering curtains and the like, although the colors were not as intense as I have seen.

Interestingly though, I have never seen pulses of light like I did last night and I realized what I was actually seeing is light move, at speed, across the sky. I think this is the only time in my life when I could actually see light move from point A to point B, as opposed to being instantaneous. Lightning kind of gives that sensation but last nights AB was much more dramatic.

It was persistent too. I got up several times through the night and was out the door early. I would say that it came with the sunset and ended when the sun squealched it out in the AM.

Very cool...

Last edited:
Saw it way down here in Eastern Massachusetts at 4:40 a.m. Tried to get a photo, but my digital camera can't do a long-enough exposure.

I learned later that while the aurora was in progress, the local police were observing a "large cat" (five to six feet in length, low to the ground) in my neighborhood(!). It had been heard growling outside some houses, and when the police responded they heard the growling, saw some deer running away in a panic, and then saw the creature. There was an item in last Thursday's weekly paper's "police blotter" about a mountain lion sighting a few miles away from here. Guess it's on the move, or not alone.

When I went home from work after posting the above, I discovered the town had placed a large lighted sign as a warning ("Use caution" alternating with "mountain lion sighted").

Are the experts still insisting there aren't any Puma concolor in New England?

Last edited:
Raymond,
Where in Eastern Mass are you? I am by Wachusett. I started up Wachusett last night around 9P to sit at the summit for a few hours and try to see the AB, but the sky clouded over and the snowshowers started, turning into snow. I turned back as it became quite slippery, I got back to the lot and it was already icy.
When I got home 15 minutes later and the sky cleared up again.
I awoke at 3:30 and went out to a twinking sky and saw nothing! (Rats)
I might just head back up Wachusett again tonight.

I wonder if the lights in the sky had anything to do with our dog going nuts last night? She (3/12 year old lab) always sleeps through the night but last night she paced and whined and drove ADacker and I crazy. Does anyone know if this is possible? Kinda like a full moon effect?

MrOysterhead said:
Here in Canton (at St. Lawrence U) word spread around 11pm that they were starting - by 1120 it was in full swing with reds, greens, yellows, and whites. somply awsome - I've never seen it before. anyone get any pictures?

Oysterhead

Hey Oysterhead! I don't write often but I saw that you are at SLU. I graduated in 1999, and am also from Canton. I hope you're getting ready for a true North Country Winter. Enjoy!!

There was no activity last night , the storm had subsided. We are expecting another one, space weather has no info beyond that but I did get a geomagnetic condition red email before leaving home this morning so another may be starting up.

Raymond said:
Are the experts still insisting there aren't any Puma concolor in New England?

I heard a plausible explanation for this just a few days ago. There may be a few mountain lions dumped by people who had them as pets until they got too big/wild to handle. They probably are so scattered that they have no chance to breed.

Awesome that you graduated from SLU Sara, I think theres at least one other VFTTer that graduated from SLU, but I think he graduated a lot earlier then you...trying to remember...

Winter can't get here soon enough, we've been havin' snow flurries the past few days. Can't wait to bust the skis and snowshoes out.

peace
Oysterhead

MrOysterhead said:
Awesome that you graduated from SLU Sara, I think theres at least one other VFTTer that graduated from SLU, but I think he graduated a lot earlier then you...trying to remember...

Winter can't get here soon enough, we've been havin' snow flurries the past few days. Can't wait to bust the skis and snowshoes out.

peace
Oysterhead

just make sure you head over to the Snow bowl in South Colton!!!

Rick, I saw the lights from a wide-open stretch of Route 62 just south of the traffic light in Stow. A couple miles later, the show seemed pretty much over.

I did see a meteor when I got home, but I wouldn't have been crouching in the dark trying to get a picture of Jupiter, Venus, and the moon if I'd known there was a mountain lion in the area.