Ausable Club

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckrueger

Reaction score
Are there any restrictions on skiing on the Lake road. Might head up this weekend to do Sawteeth and Pyramid.

Chuck

ckrueger said:
Are there any restrictions on skiing on the Lake road. Might head up this weekend to do Sawteeth and Pyramid.

Chuck

No dogs allowed, no off trail travel or camping until you reach state land. Have fun. Hopefully some snow is falling up there. The skiing didn't look too great last weekend, especially the first mile or so. Lots of ice and dirt.

restrictions on lake

I doubt it's skiable just now. Check lakeplacid.com skiing conditions for up to date information. One additional note--the caretaker at the cabin by the gate recently told me that it's not legal to ski on the lake surface. It is not an established trail.

Every time I skiied the road, it was a nightmare - Long icy patches and lots of little balsam like bits of branches (and some dog poop) all over to stick to your kickwax. I have always wanted nice conditions to ski it, but have never had them. I wonder if it is because there is traffic on it?

Last edited:
boombloom said:
I doubt it's skiable just now. Check lakeplacid.com skiing conditions for up to date information. One additional note--the caretaker at the cabin by the gate recently told me that it's not legal to ski on the lake surface. It is not an established trail.

Unless we get some serious snow in the next few days, it won't be skiable by then. I was just there within the last few days and there was very little snow anywhere below 3000'-3500'. It was quite sad actually. I'd watch the forecast.

boombloom said:

I knew this would come up!

I wish I had photographed the sign at the gate. It said that they did not advise skiing the lake, but the sign certainly did not forbid it. It was signed by AMR security or some such. Can anyone quote it, or display it ?

Here's a photo of the AMR signs posted on 'Views' in early Jan 2005 by 'arm'.

Can anyone confirm these are the same signs that are there today?

If so, there is no doubt skiing over the Ausable lakes by the general public is verboten.

HH1 said:
Here's a photo of the AMR signs posted on 'Views' in early Jan 2005 by 'arm'.

Can anyone confirm these are the same signs that are there today?

If so, there is no doubt skiing over the Ausable lakes by the general public is verboten.

No, those are not the same signs. Very interesting. They still talk about staying on the trails, but the wording of the lakes is different.

I know you cannot paddle or kayak on the lake during non winter months. Only members can. I think skiing on the lake has also been off limits but its not really enforced.

AMR property

I recall a previous discussion on this topic sometime last year. After doing a search of Q&A under the topic Lower Ausable Lake, I discovered this thread "Blake via Ausable Lake Ski".

Check it out.........the thread seems to have a very thorough discussion on the subject (which seems to surface every year) and comes to the same conclusion......one that does not seem to offer much in the way of gray area when it comes to private property.

Pete Hogan said:
I recall a previous discussion on this topic sometime last year. After doing a search of Q&A under the topic Lower Ausable Lake, I discovered this thread "Blake via Ausable Lake Ski".

Check it out.........the thread seems to have a very thorough discussion on the subject (which seems to surface every year) and comes to the same conclusion......one that does not seem to offer much in the way of gray area when it comes to private property.

Pete, I read that thread (and contributed to it), but once again, that was last year. I *STILL* want to see the *NEW* sign discussed.

I wish that I had photographed the sign as well. When Julie & I were there several weeks ago, we read a sign which indicated that the public were not allowed to ski on the lakes. I specifically remember this, because we were talking about how, in the past, sking was tolerated, but is no longer. We would not have had such a discussion if the sign was not specific about skiing not allowed by the public.

Note that there very well could have been a sign indicating that the surface of the lake is not safe. The two are not mutually exclusive, since members are allowed to ski across the lakes.

Tom Rankin said:
Pete, I read that thread (and contributed to it), but once again, that was last year. I *STILL* want to see the *NEW* sign discussed.

Maybe the new signs are due to last year's discussion?