Autumn on the Beach - Paddling Narrow River (Narragansett, RI) - 10-7-11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
Although it may be contrary to popular opinion there are actually other great things to do in the fall besides hiking - like paddling to a deserted beach in one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline in Rhode Island on a perfect October Friday. It was the ideal way to start a 4 day Columbus day weekend (that got in some awesome hiking as well).

The blog post and pictures are here: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/autumn-on-beach-paddling-narrow-river.html

Here's a small taste of paradise...

DSCF0977.JPG

DSCF0997.JPG

DSCF1003.JPG

Nice ! Although I spend most of my outdoor time in NH, RI has a lot of natural beauty as well, especially along the coast.

Thanks for posting the great photos.

You had fantastic weather for a paddle and you're right - that spot is very different in the summertime.

Despite the crowds in the summer - the boat beach is my favorite weekend spot. We paddle down from Pettaquamscutt beach, spend the afternoon riding the current around the point, boogie board if there's good surf, and relax in the sun with an ice cold beverage. Then we'll take out at Sprague bridge at the end of the day.

If you haven't been to this spot yet...if you go past Sprague Bridge and paddle the pond on the left - there's an interesting island near the northern shore less than a mile in.