Avalanche danger in ADKs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Truth!

I was with Black Spruce and although we were looking for signs of avalanche/danger , we saw none.

The importance is that WE are not attempting to scare anyone needlessly - truth is critical. There may have been a need to warn others, but why warn us after we have returned and found it SAFE?!

There was no danger of avalanche on the Macomb slide at the time of our visit.

Get over it! And MOVE on. :D

"All that other posters have done is give advice which just might save someone's life- is that really a bad thing?"

Look I am not running for office and neither trying to get climbers killed in a avalanche, so I will second iceNsnow conclusion!

Christine

Just to be sure I'm not misinterpreted....

...go back and read the original post of this thread then re-read the quoted text I put up. Most of the intervening discussion is "thread drift" which I didn't really read too thoroughly.

For clarity I have edited my post to better reflect its goal.

Personally I think Beverly's point is dead on. I'd have a lot more confidence in the DEC's warning if it were specific, such as when the USFS tells me "avalanche danger is high in Huntington and Tuckerman ravines". Then I know it takes into account location, aspect, the most recent snowfall and snow pack history. What Bev said is correct; basically everytime we get a major snowfall, DEC issues an "avalanche warning" for the entire high peaks area, and I'd bet it's just to cover their ass.

Believe me, I'm not dismissing the risk. But, as a winter 46er and someone who's snowshoed and skied the peaks for over 25 years now, I know that I personally have never seen an avalanche deposition zone in the Adirondacks, and in all that time know of one and only one snow avalanche incident there, the one on the Angel Slides on Wright several years ago. It was tragic - a skier was killed and several others seriously injured - but it remains a very isolated incident. We each have a far greater chance of being killed in the car ride up to the peaks than being caught in a snow avalanche there. That's not a call to careless disregard for the risks, just a plea for a rational assessment of them. Well, that's my two cents.

"that's my two cents!"

Well in my book, your two cents are worth billions!

Thanks,

Christine

At the request of a couple, I've been asked to close the thread. There is concern that the only thing that came come from a further exchange is hard feelings, and a desire not to have bad mojo on the new NY Q&A section of the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.