Baby bats at Marshfield Station

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

Reaction score
Hey all,
New to this posting thing so I hope this is the right place for this post. We came across a swarm (flock?) of baby bats at Marshfield Station over the weekend and spent some time taking pictures. I thought you might enjoy these.
They were tiny, about two inches or so, but only a couple weeks old and just learning to fly. I suppose that they were young enough to not be afraid of humans and let us get very close as you'll see from the photos!
Here's one now. We have a whole series up at our photos site at http://danandmeenakshi.phanfare.com/4653430#imageID=98485921

0_0_0a369452713648c9312c4e8254da939c_1

www.expeditionkalapatthar.blogspot.com

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the heads up, I'll report what we saw. It wasn't one bat though, there were dozens, if not more, all around the Station area. Many walking around on the sidewalk.
Thanks again!

Cool! I just left a message and submitted a form as well. I'll see what comes of it!

Apparently there is a community in one of the buildings.

There was a large attic community in Peterborough that was just recently wiped out. I wonder if the Peterborough bats exhibited similar behavior before their decline? I'll chat with Lindsay about this.

Last week on CT public TV, a naturalist studying bats said that the white "stuff" was visible at only real cold temps. She also stated that Europe has documented the disease has been a problem for years there.

Hope these bats aren't infected.

DaveG.

Thanks for the info everyone... it did seem odd that's for sure. I'll report back what I hear from F&G.