Baby on their backs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have worried about that baby carrying also but I'll tell you I have been to a call where the mother dumped her infant out of her car carrier onto the concrete sidewalk. Large knot on its head but the baby was ultimately fine. Point being - accidents can happen anywhere. Taking the child out into the woods, with proper clothing and preparation probably isn't the worst thing a parent could do. Especially when the alternative is sitting them in front of a TV or video game. I still do worry about it though.

Growing up... I tended to wander away. Their solution was to tie me to a tree.

As far as wandering around, when I was little I use to get up at 3AM and wander around. Cracked eggs on the floor, eating cherries on the couch at 4AM with a steak fork, clasping used double sided razor blades in my hand, figured out how to open the outside door and was found delivering mail with the mailman, etc... (all true) My dad decided that I had to be locked in the bedroom at night. My mom, a psychiatric nurse, worried that it might psychologically damage me. My dad told her that if he doesn't get some sleep he was going to be psychologically damaged. They came to an arrangement and I came out of it fine, well OK, well there’s damage but not really apparent, unless you talk to me. :D

Keith

Last edited:
Growing up, my family always camped; but I tended to wander away. Their solution was to tie me to a tree.

Haha, that's hilarious!

To whoever was asking about baby carriers a while back:

We have a sling (I forget which brand) and a Bjorn. We've always hiked with the Bjorn because Ethan (our son) seems most comfortable in it. I believe Ethan was 6 or 8 weeks old when we first took him hiking, and a sling may work better when they're really little. Also, we relied on hand-me-downs (we're...um...monetarily challenged as my grad student stipend doesn't go real far...), so we didn't try out all of the options. When Ethan was younger than 4 months, he'd face me and he could fall asleep with his head completely supported by the Bjorn. For the past 3 months he's faced forward. He doesn't need as much head support and he can still nap while riding. We were on the trail for about 8 hours this past Sunday with three breaks for feeding and such, and Ethan was happy as could be. It's quite comfortable to carry a pack on my back with him on the front - although I will say an extra 18 baby pounds really changes the game.

Growing up, my family always camped; but I tended to wander away.

Did any children ever offer you hotdogs and beans conveniently stored in their flashlights?

Actually, I do not have children, but I am finding this discussion pretty informative. I do believe that anyone carrying a baby/child could take a spill anywhere and accidently injure themselves and child.

Last edited:
Now that this thread seems to be chasing its tail my comments, which are a little off to the side of the main topic, will hopefully be forgiven.

My mother smoked and drank while pregnant, took meds during delivery and fed me formula instead of breast milk.

Then when I was 5 years old they had me downhill skiing in -40F Manitoba winters with no helmet and those old bear trap bindings. No seat belts in our car at that time either.

Then I learned how to ride a bike with no hands and no helmet. My parents never knew where I was (but I had to come home on time or else I was grounded).

Our cottage was on a huge lake (Lake of the Woods) with many islands, bays and coves and plenty of reefs and bouys. From ages 14 to 16 I went out every night, no matter what the weather in a 16 foot tin boat, never wore a life jacket or bothered with running lights on the 5 mile run home.

I went on multi-day canoe trips at age 17 with no prior experience and found out how to surf down rollers.

And on and on and on. My experience I'm sure is quite typical.

I'm not denigrating my parents seeming total lack of safety concerns or the various POV that are presented in this thread. Just offering up a perspective from only a few decades ago.

Now kids are wrapped up with a cell phone and a helmet in cotton batting and go on play dates. And research is showing them to be at higher risk for health problems than I ever was. Try and figure it out. :D

Neil,

Thank you so much for that perspective. My childhood experience is not dissimilar from yours. I could fully derail this tremendously enjoyable thread by suggesting that all that "safety" gadgetry is simply the logical conclusion of a capitalist society looking to profit off of the fears and insecurities of parents. But I won't say that ;). Instead I'll simply add that I could not locate a single incidence in the published medical literature of a child injured from a fall sustained while the parent was hiking. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, just that the medical literature is not rife with such incidents. There are many reports of children injured when such a device failed under "normal" circumstances (fabric ripped, child fell through leg holes, etc), and where a child was injured falling out of such a device when left unattended (bike seat, car seat left on elevated surface, etc.). So I humbly suggest we try to keep some perspective on what types of real dangers children face, and remember that many of us who take our children hiking with us do so NOT because we want to check another peak off of some list, but because hiking is an integral part of ourselves, something we value far beyond the hedonistic adventure/accomplishment component.

I took my now 2-year-old daughter on several hikes during her first summer. She loved it. When she was 3-4 months old and in the front carrier, people I passed commented that she had a huge grin on her face, and some people wanted pictures of her. I always went on trails where the footing was easy and stopped taking her out in mid-October when it got cold. I have the best-baby-picture-ever of her grinning on top of Eisenhower with Washington in the background at 6 months. The trick is to figure out how to fit everything you need and she needs into the pack, which is why I have the best-ever-baby-pack (I won't say what it is because everyone has their own opinion). I now have another 2-month-old daughter and as soon as she is really able to keep her head up well we'll be doing the easier trails again. My 2-year-old is now walking short distances on her own (about a mile for now) and carefully observing every speck of dirt on the trail, so I can't really call it "hiking" anymore. But we have fun. The key is to introduce them to hiking in a way that they can enjoy, and not let them get cold, bored, or uncomfortable. That way when they are 9 or 10, they won't complain when you suggest going for a hike!

Today's hiking youth preparing for a wee day hike:

Dad hovering nervously: "is your cell phone fully charged?do you have your 8 pound first aid kit, the Spot messenger set to upload a waypoint to my Blackberry every 10 minutes?have you looked at (4) weather websites? had your appendix out, been vaccinated lately, read vftt trail conditions,........?

My hiking preparation as a kid:
Mom brandishing the wooden spoon: "Get the hell out of this house you rotten little kid and don't let me see you until dinner time!!!"

(Hi Stinky :cool:)

My hiking preparation as a kid:
Mom brandishing the wooden spoon: "Get the hell out of this house you rotten little kid and don't let me see you until dinner time!!!"

My mom said the same thing...... Oh my god, Neil is my long lost brother!:eek:

Descending is worse than ascending, up Cap's Rideg not a real concern, down Cap's Ridge only tough in a couple of spots & I'm thinking most parents would gladly slide on their butts in a couple of spots with their kid on their back Vs trying to walk or jump down the tough parts.

Mostly because Mom & Dad did not want a kid in the car for four hours + diaper changes most of our hiking when the kids were Kelty Kid carrier size was on mellow trails not too far from home.

I do recall my 2nd or 3rd Washington trip, a friend & I went up Huntington & down Tuckerman. We left about the same time as many people including a young family with a baby. We caught up with them descending Tuckermans (they did not ascend Huntington, assume they went up LH or TRT) at one point, I saw the husband lurge forward, no harm but for a moment it looked like the kid could have goen over Dad's head. All I could think of is that at some point in his future the kid would get into trrouble with the law & blame some traumatic episode in his past & I'd actually agree with him. (typically I don't believe in that whole childhood trauma bit after all some of you had trauma as fetuses in your smoking drinking Moms & you kind of turned out okay:D)

On the topic at hand, I tend to be a faller...
I think this is the number one factor to consider when you are thinking of putting a baby into a carrier for a hike. How many times have you fallen, or even tripped? How's your balance, and can you keep your balance if the load shifts suddenly?

Personally, I am not a faller. I never have had a fall (I know, just jinxed myself), and I feel very comfortable on all sorts of terrain, so I was confident that I could shuttle the baby up and down trails safely. Yet each step was made with a lot more care just to be sure we didn't have any mishaps. I'm not so sure I would have taken the baby to the places I did if I were prone to trips, slips, and falls.

Sure hiking is a risky activity, but so is buckling them into the car for a trip around the corner to the grocery store. Just the other day my wife narrowly avoided being t-boned by a red-light-runner. Thankfully she checked for traffic even though the light turned green. At least in the woods the fate of my children and I is, for the most part, in my hands alone.

On a side note, I never used treking poles 'til I started hiking with my first daughter on my back. After one close call I went and got a pair. Use them all the time when they were on my back there after, well at least on the trail.