Back Country Slides?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenG

Reaction score
Hope Santa was good to everyone!

I'm thinking of bailing out of work this Thursday & Friday & heading to my camp in Tahawus for a long weekend to do some back country skiing.

I've just picked up some telemark equipment and was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of some of the easier slides to ski. I've been practicing the past few weekends @ lift operated ski areas and I think I'm ready for some BC skiing! I was thinking Whiteface, the autoroad would be first then I'm at a loss. A little help, please!!!

Ken :confused:

I have not idea about the conditions of the Daks slides currently. But, if you've never done any backcountry skiing before you should definately learn something about avalanche terrain and conditions before heading up to attempt any of the slides. There is real danger on that terrain, it's not to be attempted lightly. I would recommend going with people who know the terrain a few times before heading off by yourself.

-dave-

I hiked Giant yesterday, and snow conditions in the high peaks is marginal at best. I doubt any slide paths are skiable right now. I know the woods are definitely not ready yet.

WF Auto Road

Unless the conditions are really hard packed/icy most sections of the Whiteface Auto Road aren't steep enough to build up enough speed to really link tele turns.