Backcountry ski boot opinions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnbill

Reaction score
My beloved Salomon Greenland ski boots have finally bit the dust and I'm looking for a replacement. Unfortunately, there aren't that many choices for boots that are compatible with the SNS backcountry binding. I also have short, wide feet (my wife calls them Neanderthal feet) and usually have a hard time finding something that fits them. I checked out the Salomon X-Adventure 5’s today but wasn’t very impressed. Does anyone have any experience with either the Meindl BC leather boot or the Alfa Montana?

Thanks

Bummer about those Greenlands. I wear a euro 48 or 49 depending on the boot and they didn't import them bigger than a 47 (that I could find). They sure looked nice and having somebody as notable as author Steve Barnett giving them his full backing spoke highly of that boot.

The closest thing that I've seen is the Rossi BC-X8, which I've seen in both NNN-BC and 75 mm versions, both of which are binding changes.

Fischer is advertising the BC Frontier 5.0, which is supposed to be compatible with the SNS-X Adventure binding. It may be backwards compatible with the SNS-BC bindings but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Or you could go with a leather lace-up like the old Snowfields. Soft as slippers, leak like sieves and heavy as a boat anchor. But boy, they sure do last a long time.

Thanks for the advice Dave. My previous boots were Snowfields - had a pair for about 10 years. Heavy, soft and not too porous if you keep them slathered in Snowproof.

I'm headed to Akers tomorrow to try on the Meindls and Alfas.

Soft as slippers, leak like sieves and heavy as a boat anchor. But boy, they sure do last a long time.

Heavy, soft and not too porous if you keep them slathered in Snowproof.

You forgot to mention that the tread depth is just enough to fool you into thinking that they're going to provide safe traction when you really need it. :eek: And they last long enough that you find yourself forgetting from one year to the next, and the next, and the next ......